L67 project is probably gonna come true

Guest F14CRAZY

Please be nice and document every step of the way for everyone... in order so that it might be repeated in other Reattae...

Btw, are you planning on going a 'correct' route, or will there be compromises?

ECM, BCM, other drivetrain changes?

Guest F14CRAZY

We bought Claret as a legal steal, so we already have a convertible laying around. And convertibles are fun cool.gif

We're exchanging emails with Ryan of GM tuners/Sinister Performance on doing the work.

Ryan and I did some research. We're using an ECM from a 1991 Reatta (Jim Finn). The problem we had before was the typical Reatta ECM could operate the L67, but could not register enough airflow under boost. However, the 1991s used the Tuned Port Injection (TPI!) 3800, which can properly register the airflow and control the L67. Instrumentation will work perfectly fine (we predict) since the ECM is from a Reatta with a similar instrument panel. An '88-89 dash and ECC would be very difficult, if not impossible to get to work with the 1991 ECM.

Transmission will be a performance built 4T60e, as used in the 1991s also.

Guest F14CRAZY

We're planning on getting the supercharged series II 3800 from a salvage yard in the 40-60k mile range. Tranny will be rebuilt by our neighborhood mechanic from a salvage yard core. The engine will get rockers and an underdrive pulley for an estimated 280 hp, maybe a little more. If this all happens, Mario and I will take our cars to a track and see how they do, and probably a dyno test too.

Just be aware that the '91 3800 also had an electronic transmission and ABS controlled by the ECM and that program may carry on a bit cranky without. I *believe* the PROM (ECM should be fine) for a 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE or SE had the "L" 3800 and neither E trans nor ABS so that PROM might be a better place to start. I *suspect* the 91 data stream is going to be different than the 90 so some tweaking is going to be necessary in any case.

Should not be that big a thing, could use a DIACOM, Moates, or even an OTC 2000 with PC cable to extract the data steam contents and order the BCM is expecting and pretty sure that subroutine is the last one before the interrupt vectors at the TOM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With the drop-top cowl shake issue, wouldn't a coupe be a better choice for your Road Rocket? </div></div>

Maybe for 1990 ragtops, but that issue was eliminated for the 1991 drop-tops.

Of 305 built, all but MOST were destroyed because of the cowl shake, leaving only 196 to be released, 150 for public sale and 46 given to GM execs.

I got one!

post-38921-143137882321_thumb.jpg

Guest F14CRAZY

As the story goes...

A lot of Reatta convertibles suffer from a "cowl shake". Pretty much this is the dashboard etc shaking at certain speeds, road surfaces...they didn't quite having enough extra bracing to be ridgid enough.

There was a stretch of road in Florida where it seemed these cars exhibited this a lot. So, a lot were scrapped since they shook unacceptably.

BTW, were '90 convertibles affected by this issue? Seems that only '91s are spoken of.

Guest F14CRAZY

That's true. There has to be a way to get one of these one road, though it may be chopped up a bit or in bad condition, but a Reatta convertible with like no miles...

Guest Greg Ross

There was a fellow from Ill. selling off parts from a Schoolyard Reatta that several of us got parts from. (Agreement on the donation of these vehicles was that they be destroyed when no longer useful)I was in Louisiana at the time and was prepared to run up there with a trailer and scoop a bunch of bigger parts-low and behold someone stole the body.

F14, are you looking to whoop the behind of some Camaro or Firebird reject at your school... again? Didn't Mario do this already, with his TPI? Well, when the swap is finished, make sure that you give me all the details on the bum-whooping that those guys got! wink.gif

Guest F14CRAZY

Yeah there still is some V6 firebird at school. 3800 powered but that motor doesn't belong in that car (unless it was L67 converted).

Mario's pretty much the fastest in the parking lot, since he sold his TPI Regal and bought a '96 Mustang GT. My dad wants something fun, and I needed something to better keep up with Mario grin.gif

Bleh, shady forum errors... shady, indeed...

Anyway, I'm too tired to write this message again... so...

Yeah, it sucks that Mario sold out, and went with a '96 Rustang.

Good luck with that Reatta project, and make sure you make him shed tears, over the loss of his premium automobile.

Guest F14CRAZY

Well, a 4 door '95 Regal is a granny-mobile tongue.gif

He did seriously consider a '97 2 door Regal (with the series II) but he's pretty happy with his Stang. I'll try keeping up

Guest BUICKPOWER

IT WAS JUST LIKE YESTERDAY OR WAS IT BACK SOME TIME IN THE EARLY 80'S MY CLASSMATES GAVE ME A HARD TIME ABOUT MY BOAT A 1973 LESABRE 2dr UNTILL THEY WANTED TO PASS IT NONE REPEAT NONE EVER SUCCEED, BUT THEN I HAD MY OLD AUTOBODY TEACHER ALLWAYS ASKING WHER DID I DOCK IT, SPEED IS GOOD SPEED IN A BUICK IS BETTER!

Modern people have a hard time realizing just how fast cars from about 1957 to 1973 were. Things like Cadillacs with 500 cid engines were considered slow only in comparison to RA IV Firebirds, Tunnel port 'Stangs, and Hemi Cudas.

Times for 0-60 and 1/4 mile do not look that great now because the tire technology was not there but when was the last time you were doing 70 and a highway patrol car passed winding second gear out ?

My Reatta does 0-60 in 8.4 seconds but it is like a B-52 taking off, it just gets there. I doubt that my Judge is a whole lot faster to 60 since I have to do a whole lot of feathering in first gear despite 28 inch 255x70x15s & a 3.55 saf-t-track.

Recently had an encounter with a Northstar Allante and through second it was pretty even but from third on all them cubic inches took over. Point was I had my hands full of Judge & Tee-handle while the Allante was just motoring.

So it is a different kind of speed these days and probably a good thing. Besides how often do you find yourself in a 50 mph passing situation on a two lane blacktop ? Back in the day 50-70 was as much interest as 0-60 and for good reason. Today it is interstate everywhere and mph with the cruise on 70 and the a/c chillin' is of more interest than passing ability.

Neither good nor bad, just different.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We bought Claret as a legal steal, so we already have a convertible laying around. And convertibles are fun cool.gif

We're exchanging emails with Ryan of GM tuners/Sinister Performance on doing the work.

Ryan and I did some research. We're using an ECM from a 1991 Reatta (Jim Finn). The problem we had before was the typical Reatta ECM could operate the L67, but could not register enough airflow under boost. However, the 1991s used the Tuned Port Injection (TPI!) 3800, which can properly register the airflow and control the L67. Instrumentation will work perfectly fine (we predict) since the ECM is from a Reatta with a similar instrument panel. An '88-89 dash and ECC would be very difficult, if not impossible to get to work with the 1991 ECM.

Transmission will be a performance built 4T60e, as used in the 1991s also. </div></div>

I think I MIGHT have just come up with a potential solution to the airflow issue. I am currently working with another custom chip customer of mine concerning a his particular 3800 Series 1 turbo using a non-SC computer.

I did some thinking concerning MAFs and realized that the GN guys are using the newer GM-type MAF's (LT1) and a MAF Translator aftermarket module. They also use something called the "extender" chip in their computers which allows their computers to operate beyond the stock MAF limits. Anyway, what I am getting at is you Reatta guys may be able to do something similar, although it may not require the use of any aftermarket modules. Allow me to explain...

The stock 3800 Series 1 n/a MAF sensor outputs the following frequency per air flow value, according to the stock GM programming...

kHz....gm/sec

.... ....

As you can see this MAF sensor's boundries are between 2.00 kHz and 10.4 kHz. Now, lets take a look at the 94-97 LT1 V8 MAF sensor...

kHz....gm/sec

.... ....

Now you may notice the LT1 MAF has a larger window of operation (approx 1.5 kHz - 11.2 kHz). Although the Reatta ECM will only be able to interperate between 2.0 and 10.4 kHz, this should give us enough room to try what I propose...

I have noticed on the stock Reatta chips, while I cannot tell the computer to register airflow higher than 170 gm/sec, I can set the airflow as low as I want in any of the 8 MAF tables. This means we MIGHT be able to reprogram this computer to work with a LT1 or similar type MAF sensor and force the computer to deliver the correct amount of fuel and timing for boost. Effectively, we will be rescaling the load values in the spark table to give the computer enough "room" to recognize the increased air flow. I don't know if this is going to work yet nor how well it will work but this priliminary information and brainstorming looks promising.

-Ryan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

My Reatta does 0-60 in 8.4 seconds but it is like a B-52 taking off, it just gets there. I doubt that my Judge is a whole lot faster to 60 since I have to do a whole lot of feathering in first gear despite 28 inch 255x70x15s & a 3.55 saf-t-track. </div></div>

What Judge do you have, Padgett? You may have mentioned this before but I haven't been here much lately so I forgot. I miss all my 60s muscle. I had a Ram Air IV 69 Judge and a 69 Firebird convertible at the same time. Sold them both within 3 months of each other and looking back, it sucks. haha. The only 'muscle' I have now is an 87 Aerocoupe and that ain't a whole lot of muscle. The Judge with the 4-speed and 4.11 rear was winding like crazy at about 75mph but it would jerk a knot in your neck off the line. I used to love it when ricer kids in their new Hondas with fart cans or Mustangs would pull up next to the 'old car' and start revving.

Here are pictures of both of the old 69s in the Judge Parking Lot... Second picture down.

http://ultimategto.com/1969judcars10.htm#/1969jud/69j_00073_1