1963 Skylark followed me home

k9boski

Actually I bought it, now Im trying to figure out just what I did buy. Its a convertible, 215 motor with a 4 speed. It also has itty bitty 13" 4 lug wheels. I cant seem to find much info on this model. I did read that a 4 speed was an option. Im hoping this was not a 3 speed converted. It has power steering, brakes, and I believe the top is power, I think I saw a pump back there. It has an Offy intake and some huge looking Holley carb. Its been painted, but in the same red color, with white top and interior. Anybody have production numbers?? And.. any way to change the 4 lug to 5 lug wheels?.At least the wife likes this one....

The 4-speed is a very rare option on the '62 and '63 Skylarks. 13" or 15" wheels were available, but I'm not so sure about the 4 lugs--thought they were all 5-lugs. The Offenhauser stuff is not original, of course, but you knew that.

As a matter of fact, a '61 Special, 3-speed on the column, 4-dr. followed me home this weekend! As soon as I get it unloaded from the trailer, I'll know more about the wheel lugs, unless Bruce Andren can give you an answer from off the top of his head, which I know he can do--he is the expert on these.

Pete Phillips

BCA #7338

Guest imported_Thriller

I'm pretty sure the 13" wheels are 4 lug - if my flaky memory is correct, that's what is on my '62 Special. Then again, mine is the V6 - definitely not a performer, but a nice little car. Mine's the plain Jane version of yours, including manual top. They are great little cars - Buick style, but a bit smaller making things easier to get around town with.

Enjoy.

There were 10,212 '62 Skylark convertibles made. Originally, the engine would ahve been 200 hp at 5000 rpm with a Rochester 4GC...depending on the mods made to the car, yours may have a bit more.

Guest John Chapman

Sounds like a nice find.

I strongly suggest you locate and puchase a set of shop manuals for this car (there are three, chassis, body and parts) eBay 1963 Special/Skylark Chassis Manual . They will answer a lot of your questions. The 215 has many OEM and aftermarket parts available for it, and if you're really ambitious there is a very large pool of high tech stuff available from the Rover V8 world, up to and including fuel injection. To the best of my knowledge, the Compact Buicks all used the 13" 4 bolt wheels. A refit to get a five lug wheel would be a challenge, especially for the front end.

A couple of links to get you started:

http://www.britishv8.org/linkhome.htm

http://www.aluminumv8.com/

Cheers,

JMC

Thank you all for the help. Now more questions... were the optional 15" wheels also a 4 lug pattern? And any idea how many 4 speed cars were produced?. I guess I need to rebuild the Holley, its leaking gas everywhere. I thought this car sat only about 6 months, now I understand it was well over a year. Still not bad, but that carb must be gummed up.

Guest John Chapman

I don't know about the wheels...

If you check the aluminumv8 site that I posted, you'll see rebuild kits offered for the carb... well, the Rochester, anyway. Just because it's got a big Holley on it doesn't mean it'll work like it should. Anything over 450-500 CFM for the 215 in street tune is way too much carb.

Cheers,

JMC

• 3 weeks later...