Restoring background color to a plastic legend

BamaWildcat

In my Buick, I have both hot and cold idiot lights. The hot light is supposed to light up red, and the cold light is supposed to light up green. After 41 years in the sun, the background color of these plastic pieces fades away, and the bulb shines right through.

In the picture you can see this phenomenon: The outer band of color is actually what the whole plastic piece should be colored. My question is, how do I go about restoring this?

It doesn't appear to be sprayed on, it looks to be "through" the plastic, like the plastic's original color was the background. Can I put some paint on this, or what?

Any help would be appreciated.

Image attached.

post-31437-143137878848_thumb.jpg

Guest John Chapman

You might have the best luck in using a plastic color filter. See this vendor: http://www.rosco.com/us/index.asp or do a Google on 'plastic color filters'. They come in a variety of colors, thickness and size. It would seem to be a simple matter to find the correct color and cut a new filter to place behind the original. I would avoid cement on the back face, but you could probably use a fine application of 'super glue' on the edges to get a satisfactory bond for instrument use.

Cheers,

JMC

Not to confuse you more, but there are transparent color paints used for plastic model cars (spray and bottle) for tinting plastic windows and light lenses. There are various colors (red for sure, because I have used it.) But I do not know what other colors are out there. Call you local hobby store. I am sure they could tell you over the phone.

• 1 month later...