1954 Buick Special or Century? How to tell the difference.

lvbosch

The special is the short body, the Century is the short body.

The Century has the roadmaster engine, and dash board.

The special has the special engine, and dash board.

Century came with wire wheels.

Guest my3buicks

Centruy did NOT come with wire wheels standard, although they were an option for 54 on all but the Special series(according to BCA judging guidelines). Other than the larger engine and name badges the Century and Special are hard to tell apart in 54. Although, a step on the gas would quickly tell them apart.

I'm not sure, but isn't the rear wheel opening a dead give away?

If I'm correct, on the Century, the wheel opening is fully round and exposes the entire tire, while the Special has short "half wheel" opening, hiding the top half of the tire, much like a '55 Chevrolet. I know the Special does, because I've got one in the garage.

Not positive about the Century, but pretty sure.

-Brad

Guest imported_MrEarl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The easiest way is to get into the car behind the steering wheel, look between the gage cluster and the speedo, on the panel and you will see the word SPECIAL OR CENTURY. Not too hard.

Jim Schilf

palbuick </div></div>

Duuhhh... good call there Jim!!!!!

Soooo, ivbosh, what do you have???

And Brad54, if you refer to one more _ _ _ _ C********t in your posts I'm gonna pull your hunting privleges. And BTW Keith, ol' Brad brought down a deer with about an ounce of lead the other day and it took you what, about a ton and a half of steel??? grin.gif

Guest my3buicks

I bet his didn't do a quadruple triple half turn double lutz with a half pike upside down sumersult at the end. You have heard of the cow that jumped over the moon, I can assure you it was a deer.