1969 Buick Wildcat questions

drg330

Please excuse me, but I'm new to this. My brother recently inherited a 1969 Buick Wildcat 2 door hardtop. The car has a 430 ci motor and an auto tranny. The interior is mint, but the car needs paint and some TLC (it had previously sat in a shed for 25 years). My brother is curious as to the market value of this car, how rare it is, parts availability, etc. Anyone with what they think is relevant information, please reply to this thread. Thanks.

Guest my3buicks

Wildcats in general are a good Buick collectible, especially coupes and convertibles. They used to be thought of as the "bankers" hotrod - they are big, powerfull, luxurious cars, encompassing what Buick stood for. Wildcats have a good following among Buick collectors. It is hard to put a price on a car without looking at it, it also makes some difference if it is a standard or custom model. #5 $1,950 #4 $3,200 #3 $7,200 #2 $11,200 #1, $16,000 This will give you an idea, and also a guide as he improves the car. Most cars you see at local shows fall in the #3 range to give you a bit of something to go by. 1969 saw production of 12,416 model 46437(Standard) and 12,136 model 46637(Custom) . Parts are out there, but as with most old cars he may have to look for parts. Ebay is a great place to watch, he could also post needs on the BCA forum Buy/Sell. I would urge him to join the BCA to take advantage of all the Buick ownership support the members can give him.

These were pretty nice cars! The Wildcat models in Buick generally corresponded to the Chrysler 300 vehicles of that time frame. A more middle line model with a performance heritage. As I recall, Buick Wildcats of that general vintage were one of the few Buick models that were "correct" with the factory chrome road wheels (typically 15x6 at that time, as I recall).

As the performance model, that generates the larger 430-4 engine and related hardware. The transmission should be the famous TurboHydramatic 400, but a version suited to Buicks.

They were larger cars. They were very nicely appointed, inside and out. They were powerful, but don't expect them to stop or turn like a new car, yet they did handle very well for their time of design and production.

The fuel economy of the 430-4 V-8 has been mentioned here before, which seems to be better than it should be (and many other cars of that vintage!) once you get it lined out in a highway cruise mode.

Desireability and collectibility and ultimate value are highly "point of reference" issues, as with most anything of value. Highly variable too!

If the car's been sitting for 25 years, it'll need all of the rubber fuel line items replaced, due to newer gasolines and how they interact with earlier rubber items. Plus vacuum hoses, belts, fluids, fuel pump, AND the fuel tank cleaned out. You'll also learn about "ignition points" and other similar things. None of these things are really difficult to do, but will take some time and patience and learning where to get them--which is part of the fun of dealing with older vehicles.

"Doing it right" will ultimately make the vehicle more valuable rather than just hacking it together to get it on the road and perhaps make a fast buck. Many of the engine items might be sourced from the Skylark/GS reproduction vendors, possibly, as they used similar engines and setups.

Getting a factory Buick Chassis Service Manual can be a very good investment! Unlike newer vintage service manuals, those older Buick manuals had sections on "theory of operation" and similar "learning" sections that can be a great resource in learning about the particular vehicle.

The values that Keith listed are generally accepted values, but are not completely "cast in stone" as any vehicle is only worth what somebody else will pay for it. I concur with his "typically #3" assessment, as many people usually misjudge those ratings by at least +1 level. Also, do NOT use the Barrett-Jackson auction results for anything other than what a 200% nice vehicle will bring.

In getting the vehicle up and running, take pictures of the original and when progress has been made, plus documenting the expendatures. Buy quality items rather than "will fit" auto supply items, so the investment will be returned and indicate you cared enough to put good stuff back onto the vehicle. Keeping it OEM correct makes it more valuable than adding lots of chrome or other hot rod catalog "stuff"! Plus generally easier to sell for a higher price, when the time comes.

I'd recommend, to start with, to just get it up and running and cleaned up. The old MagicMirror Acrylic Lacquer paint might buff up pretty well, with some light cleaning and then following that with a good cleaner wax (I like Meguiars "red bottle" cleaner wax) and then some of their "glaze", followed by their new "no abrasive" wax. Getting the chrome polished will generally brighten things up too. From my experience, don't try to rush the clean and wax operations. First wash it well, then use the light cleaner the next day, followed by the cleaner wax the next day, and so on. Sometimes, in bringing back an older finish, it takes time for the "oils" in the product to penetrate the existing paint so the color and metallic "comes back" somewhat.

KEY thing is NOT to use too much abrasive in the clean-up operations!!! A good quality orbital buffer (not the high speed kind of normal buffer!) and plenty of terry cloth bonnets can be some key "elbow grease" items too. It's going to take some time to do it this way, but it will be worth it in the end.

Remember, the more old paint you remove is making the remaining paint just that much thinner AND closer to the primer coat (typically black). Discretion is the main operative function.

So, do some shopping for repro parts first, while getting things cleaned up and "discovered". Take your time and make it the really neat vehicle it can be!

As Keith mentioned, the BCA is a great "network" to be a part of. Membership and attendance at a national meet can be highly rewarding, entertaining, and informative. Pretty reasonable for all that you get, too (compared to other single or multi-marque national vehicle clubs)! BCA membership does have some great priviledges!

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Guest imported_MrEarl

Welcome aboard drg330,

The 60's Wildcats have been becoming interesting and exciting to me lately too.

But the main reason I am replying to this post is to compliment and praise Willis aka NTX5467 for yet ANOTHER well written and very informative reply and commentary. Though his posts are sometimes lengthy, I am always forced to read his fine literary and in depth responses. Seldom does he initiate a comment but boy does he have some great "answers". Tends to make this forum an on line magazine of sort. Thanks for your dedication and my Buick hat off to ya Willis. OK back to talking Wildcats... wink.gif

Amen to Lamar's comment on Willis' replies. Always interesting and informative.

Regarding 60's Wildcats, I have a soft spot there as I learned to drive on a 66 'Cat4 dr sedan in the brilliant blue available that year. Dad loved its performance, ride, and handling. Mom was usually the first out of the traffic lights as it was her car. She was a high school teacher and had to turn down requests from her Senior guys at Prom time who always wanted to borrow the car. We traded the car in 1969 for a new airconditoned Electra 4 door post sedan, but I didn't mind being seen in that either. Wildcats and GS cars formed my love for Buicks back then. Wish today's Buicks could make that strong of an impression on today's young drivers.

Thank you very much folks. My brother is currently leaning towards selling the car, but I'm trying to talk him into holding onto it for awhile so I can raise the money to purchase it from him (sentimental reasons, it was our late grandfather's first car). I will try to get some photos up asap. Thanks again.

• 1 month later...