Tire and Wheel Size Possibilities...... Realistically

luftweg

Hold on! I'm not a Ricer and not looking to make a Reatta ridiculous and ghetto...

What I'm interested to know is what is/are the best size tires/wheels for the Reatta. Certainly, I know that 16's with 215R's are okay (1991 stock?).

But my thoughts are if whether improvements in handling are obtained with even a bit larger size (was thinking like 17's or 18's with 245/40 (or whatever gives the same circuference).

Then again, I realize that problems can arise that would even worsen handling or acceleration.

What's the consensus (... and I am specifically asking those sports car or track guys and not those who believe Ricers handle (or even look) great).

K

Guest Ranger

First of all, I have a full set of stock wheels and tires. I put on a set of Koenig Typhoons with 225 55 17 Goodyear LT's. No clearance problems and a 1 1/2% lower speed than reads on the speedo. A great appearance difference and no ride difference from the Goodyear Regattas.

I am very happy with the 16x7 Enkeis and 225x60x16 Michelin X-Ones. Does make the speedo and odo about 5% low and is about the largest combo that will fit though a 46 mm offset rather than 38 might allow a slightly larger tire.

It really depends on what you desire to accomplish. Generally a shorter sidewall will tend to improve turning response and possibly cornering force. A larger wheel will usually slow acceleration slightly just due to the physics of where the major weight is placed. A shorter sidewall will generally have a somewhat harsher ride, although the tread compound and depth of the tread will have some effect on this. A deep tread will tend to absorb some of the small stuff you feel from the road where an ultra-performance tire with a shallower tread depth will be harsher. There are exceptions to everything and a lot depends on the style, weight and construction of both the wheel and tire. If you have a good tire place you are familiar with, they may mock up different combinations for you to check the look before you buy. One other thing if it is looks you are after, a large open design wheel will make the highly visible brakes look really tiny. There are lots of good choices out there. If you get radical just be sure the weight ratings of the wheels match what is required by the car. Personally I am using American Racing Estrella wheels, 16"x 7" with Firestone SZ50 225/55-ZR16 tires. Very sticky and great in the rain.

Guest F14CRAZY

Uh oh. Time to do the Oldsmobile brake upgrade.

Personally I like the looks of painted calipers. As long as they're not painted drums frown.gif