vacuum line

Michael_V

Hello everyone! In doing some work on my vehicle I noticed a vacuum line that isn't attached to anything (see picture). It is pulling a vacuum and appears to be related to the AC system, though it is working fine. Can anyone tell me what this is attached to?

I think you are right about it going to the A/C controls but have never done any work on this. It almost looks like it would connector the white connector that is above and to the right of the vacuum line in the photo.

The white connector is actually a bolt that will hold the black plastic kick panel in place. The hose holds a strong vacuum even with the AC system off. I've looked and felt around and can't seem to find any other loose hoses. The four colored hoses visible are all connected.

Hi, and thanks for the responses. The hose along the carpet is a wire going to my cd player. I think the disconnection might of occurred when I took out and cleaned my heater core last year. I'll take out my glove box in the next day or so to get a closer look. Maybe I'll spot something this way.

What does it connect to at the other end ? Have seen one like that that connects to the programmer but if vaccuum is present when a/c is off then it is probably the feed line. Programmer is black plastic box with a number of vaccuum connectors on the bottom and the hot/cold servo rod on the top. Is just to the right of the BCM.

See attachment.

If you follow the red, yellow, orange and blue electrical lines (that are bundled together with black electrical tape) to the right (when viewing your photo), you will find that they terminate onto a block (my photo). Sticking out of that block should be a small plastic 90 degree elbow. It's to this elbow that the vacuum line connects. In my photo, at the bottom, you'll notice a silver box with blue tabs sticking out of the top. That is the ECM which has been pulled down from its little nest in the dashboard. You will not see this unless you've also pulled out your ECM.

I just had an opportunity to work on my car today. I took a closer look at the vacuum lines on the car and still was unable to find the point of origin of the vacuum line in question. I have a feeling that it is coming from the vacuum lines in the engine. The elbow that was mentioned earlier is already connected to a stiff semi-clear hose that runs to the drivers side of the vehicle. I wonder if the empty fitting on the programer next to the elbow is where my hose goes? With the fitting on my hose it will not fit on the Programmer where the elbow is or the empty hole. I'm Posting some more pictures if this helps at all.

Guest EDBS0

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have a feeling that it is coming from the vacuum lines in the engine. The elbow that was mentioned earlier is already connected to a stiff semi-clear hose that runs to the drivers side of the vehicle. </div></div>

The fact that it is pulling a vacuume suggests strongly that one end is already connected to the intake manifold.

How mch did you have to remove to take the picture. I also have an 89 and might be able to take the same photo?

I removed the black plastic kick plate on the passengers side. This consists of 4 or 5 #15 hex screws and two wing nuts. Once removed you can see underneath on the right hand side where the connections are made. If you spot the hose in question maybe you can see where it goes to. Thanks!

I'm attaching two photos that might help out. The first one shows the sorce of the black hose in the engine with no connection. The other shows a vacuum hose that goes to the programmer. This hose is pulling a vacuum and is not black as stated in your manuel but semi-clear. Both the black and semi-clear hoses are pulling strong vacuums. I've plugged the black hose to stop any damage from occuring to the vacuum system. Hopfully this will help out.

It appears that someone has re-engineered your vacuum system. Your latest photo attachment with the three red arrows shows a "Tee" in the vac line connected to the vacuum reservoir. I have an 88 and an 89 and neither of them have that "tee" in that location. If you have access to a FSM (Service Manual) or the online version at www.reatta.net you will find a vacuum schematic on page 9B-3 .. figure 3. in the section on the Cruise Control.

As for the end of the vacuum line that you plugged with a screw, that is the line that is supposed to connect to the 90 degree fitting that I told you about in my last post. The black tubing that is currently connected to it is bogus and only God knows why it is there or where it goes but it doesn't look like the factory setup to me. Good Luck.

Your right. smile.gif

What has been so confusing is that all the connections on the programmer were made, and the AC system worked. The semi-clear hose on the programmer was the one spliced in the engine. The black hose was just left hanging behind the glove box pulling a vacuum. It took me a while to figure all this out. I've already switched hoses and made the proper connections in the engine. I took out the semi-clear hose with all it's fittings and put it in the trash. Thanks to everyone for help in this matter. grin.gif

Well dang, I woke up in the middle of the night wondering why someone would go through all the trouble of splicing into a vacuum line in the engine compartment and running a line through the firewall to a unit that already had a working vacuum line attached??????

In talking with Howard, he suggested that at one time maybe the black vacuum line was removed causing the AC system not to work. Someone then patched in a new vacuum feed line, (the semi-clear hose) from the engine. This left the black hose free to continue pulling a vacuum, and fixed the AC system. Though this seems very odd I doubt a real mechanic would of done this. confused.gif

I'm really baffled as to why this was done. It really does not make any sense. The only thing I can think of is, somehow the orginal line lost it's "source". The person making the repair did not want to find what the problem really was, so they spliced in a new line. Later someone else discover a unconnected line and plugged it back in causing the orginal line to "suck" again. Anyway, all seems well now.

As to weather the car is running smoother because of the vacuum lines, it is hard to tell. At the same time this happened I replaced the alternator and the spark plug wires on the car. HUGE difference. The car responds faster and has more power than before. It still runs a little rough in park, but this will be worked on. My question is, would the vacuum lines affect it's performance? If so how?