BCA Tech and Restoration Forum Rules

Peter Gariepy

Welcome to the Collectible Buick -Technical and Restoration Forum.

Post questions and share your knowledge of chassis, engine, body, and trim technical and restoration issues here. Covers all years of Collectible Buicks, 1903 to present -- except anything so new as to still be under factory warranty!

Be sure to include the year and model of the car and the general nature of the question in the Subject Line. This makes it easier for others to do a ?Search? later in case they have a similar question.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
Guest Kevin AZ

Technical Q - 1960 Buick Electra 225

Gentleman (& Ladies).

I noted with much interest a 1960 Buick Electra 225 convertible at the Barrett-Jackson auction in Scottsdale a couple of days ago & have a question related to how you Buick guys handle a certain restoration technique. The stainless steel trim-work along the car's lower level is much like that found on my 1955 Packard 400 (2dr HT). Packard enthusiasts call it 'Reynolds wrap' and it adorns 1955 & 1956 senior Packards. My question is how best to accomplish the restorative process to ensure that the black paint gets in the "valleys" and the high points (peaks) remain stainless. Thoughts and leads are much appreciated appreciated.

Kevin AZ

Tucson

• 4 years later...

John D et al. As can be seen by the original title, this forum was originally established as an "all Buick" Technical and Restoration forum. Then it was divided into the Pre-War and the Post War. One negative aspect of that segregation has been the potential for a lot of interesting non-technical general interest and even Buy/Sell posts to be made in one or the other and possibly not be viewed by the other. While I understand that there is somewhat of a defining line within the technical aspects of the two groups, with most technical subject matter not being of common interest to both, I do like to see non technical general interest subject matter and buy/sell shared between the two groups.

In my humble opinion, you have hit on a underlying issue with all the various forums. As each group splinters off and becomes more and more specialized, we all lose touch with the bigger sum of the parts. That's one reason a National Meet is so much fun to me. It's so nice when the real thing is right there in front of you, no matter what shape it's in.