Trouble persists?

Cargirl

I replaced the ICM but the car is still experiencing trouble. Whereas before the car would get to point A to point B and then fail, now it drives about 10 minutes then stalls out. It will restart and limp home but somethings afoot here. The fuel pump is making a bit of a humming noise, do they usually fail completely when they go out or could this be my trouble? I checked for codes and there are none stored and that's another reason I was thinking perhaps it's a fuel issue. Thanks!

Guest Greg Ross

Ever replace your fuel filter?

When are you hearing the fuel pump, with the Teves Brake boost pump running at startup it's often difficult to distinguish which is which. Like the brake booster pump the fuel pump should only run for a short interval. Once the system is pressurized, approximately 38 psi minimum as I recall thepump shuts off until the fuel pressure drops. Theres' a schrader valve on the fuel rail for checking fuel pressure, think I paid around $35.00 for a tester kit. You canalso check for pressure drop this way. My only experience with a fuel pump failure and one of the two times BB let me down and did not go! The pump went, out, ded, that was it! mad.gif

Usually with a fuel pump, it will not start at all and once started will continue unless you have less than 1/4 tank of gas in which case it may overheat.

I usually find a bad fuel pump when I try to start a car and it doesn't.

The Fuel filter is new. I tend to agree that a fuel pump either fails or runs...that's been the case with other GM cars I have owned. Any other thoughts on stalling with no codes stored? Will have to go to the dreaded mechanic next week otherwise...thanks!

Guest EDBS0

On my SHO the fuel pump sounded like a turbine jet before I was able to get around to replacing it. No decrease in performance though.

You should be in closed loop by that time. When was the oxygen sensor last replaced, the air filter replaced and the throttle body cleaned?

Can't recall but haven't you recently replaced the coil pack?

Guest F14CRAZY

Haha Fords seem to have always had loud fuel pumps. My brother used to have an '86 4 banger Mustang conv and at stop lights you could easily hear the pump over the engine

Just a idea look at your, MAF, MASS AIRFLOW SENSOR its easy to take out, see what kind of condition it is in and clean with electrical cleaner be careful not to break the tiny wire !! I had a stalling and poor running condition and replaced with a used one from Jim Finn and its running better then ever !!!GOOD LUCK !!

Guest DTerry

Haven't experienced it with a GM, but I have had three cars that would shut off when the fuel pump heated up. Volvo would shut down, then would start and run for a while after a cooling period. New fuel pump fixed it. Ford Taurus the same. I have a Dodge Caravan now that will run fine until the outside air temp gets above about 85 and it gets below half a tank of gas. It will shut down, and after three or four minutes cooling will start and run for another 5 minutes or so. If I keep it above half a tank, there's never a problem. It's only been that way for about 5 years now...maybe this year I'll fix it.....or not. smirk.gif

Guest EDBS0

An unheated (Reatta) oxygen sensor is good for only some 30,000 miles. It just could be that as it gets hot it leans out the mixture and the car will not run. On restart it goes into a programmed start mode and then back into closed loop mode where problems start again.

Not completely certain but it is due!

Still I have to think back to the overheating and getting wet problem that appears to be the start of your recent problems.

Perhaps a restatement of the recent history will help others with suggestions.

On the plus side it is getting closer to a complete failure which is often eaier to fix.