Rear Main Seal Question

its a V-12

My '48 LC V-12 has a small but steady oil leak which is coming from the rear main seal. Its probably one of those things that can be put off but I don't like seeing the oil drops on my garage floor. Here's the question, I understand that the current seal is made from rope, is there a subsitute (i.e.rubber etc) that would be better and longer lasting. Thank you for your response.

Hey guys, the fact of the matter is that all H-V-12's came with a slinger type oil seal, any rope seals you run into were installed later, for varying reasons and success. The slinger system is actually less likely to leak than the rope type, but any wear in the aluminum type insert that fits around the metal lip on the crankshaft, or any "end play" in the crank shaft will make it leak excessively, the rope seals, because they are in constant contact with the crankshaft, wear a lot, and soon start to seep, so you pays your money and takes your choice, I far prefer the slinger myself, with a good 6335, and a snug engine with no end-play, they are very good. To the fellow with the king pin question, jack up a front wheel from the bottom of the axle, grasp the tire at 6 and 12 o'clock, push and pull the top and bottom, and if you detect any movement, you need king pins, if you can't move it in and out, check your toe in, the only normal adjustment on these simple but rugged and good handling front ends, caster and camber have to be "bent" in to the components, and is not recommended unless there has been major damage, hope that helps, Rolf