fuel pump help

WillBilly53

alright i just order the #40 pressure blaster from Harbor Freight. so i'm wainting on that to arrive before i do anymore rust removal on the intake.<P>so i'm almost done with the fuel pump. but i've got one question. the manual tells me that i need to repeen the shaft on one of the diaphrams after i install the new rubber. i've installed the new rubber with the two metal discs on either side, but i'm not sure how to "peen" the shaft. do i use my ball peen hammer? or is there another trick? any help would be greatly appreciated!<P>thanks,<P>will<P>p.s. generally what color do i repaint the fuel pump? i've got "buick green" for my engine. do i use the same stuff? a hi-temp coating?

Will, you can peen with a drift punch or even a small flatblade screwdriver. What the manual wants you to do is to tap the edges of the metal housing down around the shaft to retain it in its bore and keep it from moving around. All you need to do is take the punch or whatever, set it at a slight angle to the shaft, and tap it lightly with hammer so as to move some housing metal over the end of the shaft.<P>Into Beat too, are we? Bought the Rolling Stone <I>Book of the Beats</I> in a B&N discount bin a while back. I recommend it.

thanks tony 52! if i don't paint it then is there some treatment i can cover it with to protect it from rust? and or to shine it up? it looks very gray and dull. <P>hey good call, rocketraider on the beat reference. and thanks for explanation. that helps me a bunch! i just started the subterraneans. tristessa is one of my favorites. i'll definitely check out the book of the beats. the cd box set is amazing. i'm getting ready to get the jack kerouac cd box set as well. great packaging too!

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

Willy,<P>To polish up your fuel pump, take a wire wheel brush to it, or use one mounted in a bench grinder.<P>This method works on lots of parts you are restoring, plus it is fun to do.<P>I did all the bolts under my hood when I rebuilt my engine.<P>Finish thrm off with steel wool, then wash them (it) in laquer thinner.<P>Aviod touching it with your fingers, and then use a clear coat paint, like clear engine enamel to preserve it.<P>I did all the alum. and non painted parts this way and they still look great a few years later.<P>At first I did not do the fender bolts, even thought I did clean them up, but the first time I got caught in the rain they rusted.<P>Had to do them again.<P>Good Luck,<P>Scott Mich<BR>Assistant Director<BR>Chicagoland Chapter<BR>1955 Roadmaster 76C Convertible<BR>1959 Olds SS-88 Holiday Sport Sedan<BR>1960 Corvair Model 700 Deluxe 3 speed<BR>1978 Bonneville Brougham