WTB: 1959 fan guard

WQ59B

From numerous online (and other) pics, Buick took 3 approaches to a fan guard underhood for '59: 1.) nothing, 2.) a radiator-width plate with reinforcing ribs on it. This mounts between the 'fender crossmember' and the radiator and effectively closes off that area from-to-back & side to side. The 3rd approach I saw once was a rather flimsy looking piece that 'floated' in the same area and almost looked to be non-factory. I'm NOT interested in that one.

Anyone have a decent (straight, no rot, very little rust) factory fan guard available? Reply here or drop me a line:

ventiport@>>REMOVE<<earthlink.net

I have looked through my 59 books and could find nothing on fan guard or shroud. I do not have a parts book. My Electra dosen't have a shroud around the fan but then it dosen't have air conditioning.My Invicta has factory air and also a steel shroud around the fan. Only cardboard shroud I have seen was on a 59 with add on air.

If you would like some photos Email me at pattery@elroynet.com.

Terry29-26

Like Terry29-26, my 59 Invicta with A/C has a full steel shroud around the fan.

Terry29-26, what model is your '59 Invicta? Do you know where it was built?

Here's the first pic I could find to show what I'm talking about, but it's not the best:

motor.jpg

It's the piece that bridges across from the 'fender crossmember' to the radiator tank. I am under the impression that it was a later retro-fit, but I have no factory info to back that up with. I can't say if it's an A/C piece or not.

Mark

59-4637

I realize that a lot of the pics in the factory manuals are of pre-production cars (or even other makes: '59 Buick tailgate section has a number of pics of '59 Pontiac wagons), but...

In the 1959 Chassis Service Manual, on page 7-45 is a pic illustrating the Air Ride shut-off valve. This cropped pic seems to show not only an Air-Ride car, but one with A/C, as a fan shroud can be partially seen. Also visible is yet another 'fan guard' in the same position as in the above pic, but appearing to be moreso a rubber baffle with a sheetmetal reinforcing edge that is bolted to the same 'fender crossmember'. I have also not seen this set-up in person... tho I'm not sure I've ever examined an A/C car underhood before.

Anyway- I thought I'd point this out while we're on the subject.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Silver Arrow

This particular piece is known as the "Bracket and Fan Guard - Radiator Mounting" in the parts book. Item 1192333, group 1.271 and was used only on A/C equipped 1959 models. The non-A/C models used just the bracket, item # 1190799. Hope this helps!

Silverarrow

1959 Electra 225 CVT

1959 LeSabre 4dr HT

1959 Invicta 4dr Estate Wagon

1959 Comet-Buick Ambulance

Guest imported_widomski

I took some pictures of the fan shroud on my air conditioned Electra and posted them on my web site, http://www.59buick.com/59_buick_convertible.htm. To my knowledge this is the original piece, when I took the front clip apart, it appeared to all original pieces were there and the car was no bastardized. Hope this helps. I would have gotten them out sooner but didn't uncover the car till today and I didn't have any pics of the shroud when I took it apart.

Bob

Mitch-- only thing I have for '60 at the moment is a set of Super DeLuxe hubcaps. Very nice but very heavy- shipping would get costly...

Bob- I suppose you know you have a gorgeous car, right? Just making sure. wink.gif

The 'fan guard' shown in the lower left pic is what I alluded to as the 'floater' (or the "3rd approach" I mentioned in the opening post). I accept that it's factory on your word. However, take another look at the pic I posted above; the 2nd post I made. Note how this guard goes beyond the upper radiator hose and conforms to it's shape. It also fills the space more fully. This one perhaps was a later-issue fan guard. I'd like to find that one if possible. When was your car built?

Guest imported_widomski

There is a Buick Invicta for sale on Ebay, 4544353040 It appears that the fan guard is the same as mine from the pic of the engine compartment. I am going to email the owner to see if he has other pics.

Bob

Bob-

looks like he has the circular fan shroud, but no fan guard, just the radiator support. Check out auction #4544074244 ('59 Electra w/ 17K claimed miles)- it has what I will persist calling the 'floating' fan guard (doesn't completely fill the gap side-to-side or radiator-to-support).

Here are the photos from the Ebay auctions:

This first is from the Invicta flattop currently on Ebay, and the second shows the engine compartment from an Electra flattop that was recently sold on Ebay. Neither car has factory A/C. (My '59 Electra has the same radiator support as these cars.)

10_3.JPG

d6_12_sb.JPG

The green Electra 225 on Ebay has the ribbed fan guard that WQ59B is referring to. This is a factory A/C car:

cf_1_b.JPG

Another A/C '59 225 has just appeared on Ebay, and its fan guard is also the ribbed type.

ef_4.JPG

You guys see what I'm talking about right? There are <span style="font-weight: bold">2</span> different fan guards- the 'floater' seen in the immediate-above pics by Centurion and the 'full' one shown in the 2 pics I posted. I really want the 'full' one (both have ribs). Beyond that, I am curious why 2 different ones were used.

Early press on the '59s stated they 'threw away' the fan shroud because it created too much noise, yet obviously they were installed on A/C cars. But a fan guard in addition to the shroud seems like overkill to me; the shroud should be an efective guard by itself. Yet it seems most of the guard-equipped cars have A/C.

I guess Buick Engineering continued to refine details during the year.

Here's what Bob is referring to. The seller claims everything except exhaust and tires is original, but I have some doubts about this fan guard.

Do you think there's a possibility that different assembly plants might account for some of the variations we're seeing?

b2_12_sb.JPG

Guest invicta592

Well, if it helps at all, my non-air Invicta was built in South Gate and has the same rad support as Brians. I've also seen a non-air Invicta built in Linden which also has the same bracket.