1955 rear door window removal

Fred Rawling

I would wait till you have a good set of directions. The rear door glass on a 4-door hardtop has a lot of adjustments that interact with one-another. The glass goes up-and-down in two curved channels that must be properly adjusted to work together; if not, the glass will bind or will not be properly positioned. There are also vertical travel stops and "lean-in' adjustments that must be correct or there will be a gap at the top. You may want to consider locating a glass shop with an old guy who did this kind of work back when this was something that auto glass shops encountered. There weren't too many of these that came in even when the cars were new; I don't think the average glass installer nowadays would even know where to start on this job. I did auto glass from about 1958 through 1966 and only did five or six of these and getting the first one adjusted right took me about four hours. Good luck.

Thanks for the replys. This is a door from a parts car. My objective is to get the window operating mechenisum out and send it to someone in need of the part without tearing up any other good parts. I already have 4 hours in trying to figure it out. I found the 2 screws at the hinge side of the door that you access through the rectangular hole and remover therm. The window still does not slide off the track. I do not want to buy the book just to sell this part that I already have a half days labor in trying to remove.

More ideas please.

The glass and frame are held to a track with screws that are easily accessable once the door panel is removed. The screws are Phillips head with shakeproof washers and are in pairs through tabs projecting from the bottom channel. If you remove these screws, the glass will be released from the regulator mechanism. You should then be able to work the glass and frame out of the door but you will have to remove stops and a few other items to clear the way. Just remove anything that is in the way of removing the glass. The vertical tracks were most likely held in the door, at the bottom at least, by 9/16" nuts with a large shakeproof washer under it. If all else fails, remove all of the screws that you can see on the inside of the door and you should be able to work the glass out. Good luck!

I got it out. There are four 8-32 flat head screws that hold the window frame to the channel. Two are on the hinge side and are accessable through a rectangular hole in the door. The two at the latch end are hard to find and you have to move the window around to line them up with a small hole to get a screw driver in. The rear of the window comes out first. Then you slide the window to the latch end of the door and the front roller comes out through the same gap as the rear roller.

Thanks to everyone that responded.