Newsletter paper thickness (to save postage!)

Jon37

I use 24 lb. paper to avoid 'bleed-through' on my inkjet, but I can get no more than five sheets into the newsletter (10 pages) before I go over the one ounce Postal Service limit for 37 cents postage. I've noticed some newsletter editors manage to get six-sheet newsletters (8-1/2" x 11") through the mail for 37 cents -- but they use 20 lb. paper and you can sometimes see printing on the other side of the page. Has anyone discovered a paper that is thick enough for 2-sided printing but light enough that six sheets weigh no more than one ounce?

Jon,

I am editor for <span style="font-style: italic">On the Road, Again!,</span> the newsletter of the Brass-Nickel Touring Region. I use a 20# paper and have not had that much of a problem with bleed-through. I experimented a lot with this issue and here are some of mine observations.

1. I use either Xerox or Hammermill #20 cream colored paper. This gives a softer look. Try using different colored paper. For some odd unknown reason this seems to help.

2. I print with a HP 1700 printer. Here is a trick that I discovered that works for me and this printer. You can choose printer settings of either fast (or draft), normal, or best. If I print on normal, bleed-through can be a problem and takes forever to print. So I print on draft mode; HOWEVER, with this printer I can adjust the ink volume. I turn it up a notch so that it prints a little darker while keeping the faster print speed.

If you send me your mailing address, I can send you a sample of my newsletter.

Hope this help!

Jon,

Got your email. I will be mailing out a newsletter next week so I will make sure you are on the mailing list.

In the meantime, I have been working with getting the newsletter on-line. But am having some problems since I publish our newsletter in a 5.5 x 8.5 inch booklet format. I have managed to get the December 2004 newsletter on-line. This was our Christmas issue so is 28 pages (7-8.5 pages). Stop by and take a look!

Go to the Brass-Nickel Touring Region web page; click on Publications; then newsletter. It will take a few minutes to load. I am experimenting with several things to reduce the load time.

Guest Moepar

Hey Judi

have you tried possibly saving the newsletter to a PDF file (uses adobe reader to open) and posting it to the website that way? I don't think it matters what size the page is, tho I haven't tried it yet on a smaller page. Our webmaster has been putting the newsletter on our website with that, & it saves it in the orginal style with out any loss of quality. It is pretty easy to do, too. If you don't have a PDF creator, PM me & I'll see if I can get you one.

Dawn

You girls keep me informed about the on-line newsletter situation. I don't have a clue about the workings of a PDF file. I will also e-mail a Publication Member today to get a little action on this online idea of yours.

Jon, I use the same HP printer that Judy does. When I have a lot of color pictures to print, I go into the printer file and lower the ink usage (from heavy to light) which prevents the bleedthough you speak of. I've seen this in other newsletters that come into my mailbox. I've been holding my tongue about telling them of the problem. How do you help correct a problem in someone elses newsletter without hurting their feelings? Wayne

• 2 weeks later...

Jon,

I mailed you a Brass-Nickel newsletter today. The paper I used was not my usual brand but the bleed-through is minimal. With this 20 lb. paper, for 37 cents I was able to mail 5 - 8 1/2 by 11 sheets and 1 - 8 1/2 by 14 (the cover sheet). This also included 2 staples, 1 stamp, and 1 sticker. Yours will be coming in an envelope (60 cents) since I always mail out of state this way.

Enjoy!