Lost Keys to 1940 model 51

Garyr1016

The 1940 model 51 I purchased didnot come with keys(lost years ago). Does just the 1 key fit all?? the ignition, doors, trunk, glove box?? Advise?? I've taken the ignition out and a local locksmith will make a key for it for about $40. Or, I can purchase a new ignition for about the same money. Any advise out there??

Thanks in advance

Gary

The original set up was: the hex key fit the doors ,trunk ,and ignition, and the round one fit the glove box. I guess the thinking was you could leave your car for service and not worry about the stuff in the glove box. Before you spend a lot on money on keys, check all your friends old (from the 60s) keys,as they only had 20-30 different keys back then. It used to be interesting to see if your key would fit your friend's car, and hide it!

Very true... I bought a '64 Riviera ignition out of one junkyard with the key, then later looked at a '56 Buick Special 2dr in another yard the same guy owned. Tried the key for some reason, or both had keys and I compared them - can't remember now - but the '64 key worked fine in the '56 ignition.

If you can't find blanks, an AMC trunk key (like 1969-1979ish) is the same as the GM hex head, I had a spare made for a '60 Pontiac for my wallet with the AMC blank and it worked. I think the AMC ignition will work for the round-head GM key, too.

Update

I removed the key assembly from the ignition and took it into the locksmith, the assembly and tumblers were frozen solid (some metal transfer via electrolysis had taken place) he worked with it for a bit and got it freed up with some special Teflon spray lube. From a master set of keys (about 100) he was able to get it opened. Then disassembled, cleaned and reassembled with a working key for a grand total of $20. And the best part(for me at least) is that this key works everything-- ignition, doors, trunk, glove box and the lock on the gas tank filler door.

Thanks for all the advise guys, this is a great forum.

Gary,

As an after the fact tid-bit to chuck into your memory, many of the cars have a number stamped into the door, or trunk lock, or lock shaft, which is the key code. I used that to get keys for my roadmasters. (you have to pull the lock set just the same to see the numbers which are about 1/16 " tall)