Reatta Convertible Kits?

Chuck Kendzierski

I am at odds with myself over my 1988 with the five inch MFD (which I believe embodies the uniqueness of the Reatta) and wanting a convertible. Given that CINC Haus will not allow her new GMC Envoy XL to leave that garage, the prospect of two garaged Reattas is a distant dream. With this in mind, does anyone know of a kit for converting a hard top Reatta to a convertible? Up to this point, I had never dared to make one change to the vehicle preserving its identity however I find myself drooling over the prospects of a convertible Reatta. Yes, I want the best of both worlds.

The Confused One

Guest F14CRAZY

Multi Function Display? Technically, it's the ECC (electronic control center). Am I correct that you are speaking of the touch screen CRT? I also faced the same decision. Well I got a coupe and my dad got the convertable so it worked out.

I think it would be easier to swap out a dash from a coupe and put it in a convertable. You'd have to do the entire thing, including the ECM and BCM. I wouldn't use a '91 convertable though because the electronic transmission might be weird to the ECC system.

At the Flint Reunion, one of the Reatta engineers commented that they had to change from the CRT when they released the convertible because you could not read the display with the top down.

Like the chicken and egg question, which came first? Did the dash change because the convertible was released or was the convertible delayed until the dash was changed?

Guest F14CRAZY

Barney: keep in mind that the Riviera may have had a big influence on the demise of the ECC. You could first ask whether the Rivi or the Reatta was first to lose it.