My Profile Page

Guest imported_MrEarl

Guest imported_MrEarl

I?d like to encourage all new comers as well as you old timers of the BCA Forum to take the time to complete their Profile Page. The Profile Page contains personal information of a member and can be accessed by other members by clicking on a persons User Name (Example-MrEarl) in the upper left hand corner of a post. The information that can be included is your name (this is your name, not your Display/User name (and for security you may want to only list your first name), your email address (this can be given as JoeBlow@removemefirst.yeeha.com so people can still figure out what your real email address is, but spamming agents can't just parse through the page and spam you), birthday, your homepage if you have one, your occupation (or if you?re retired what you use to do), hobbies, your location, a short bio of yourself/family/cars you own (hint-limit it to 250 character or it won't be accepted and you might lose it all when you go back to change it), other clubs you are member of, your signature and an avatar. You can access and update your Profile Page by going to the top of this page, right clicking My Home, scrolling to the bottom of that page to Main Configuration and Editing "Personal Information".

This group has always been a close knit group of friendly folks that are always ready to lend a helping hand. I believe that by having this information available for others to see, it would promote even more friendly exchanging of ideas and opinions and a greater sense of comradeship within the group.It helps to know where others are from especially if they have cars or parts for sale of need help with something. So while it?s on your mind why not go take care of this little task rat now. If you need help re the avatar, pictures etc just post your question here.

Lookin forward to gettin to know ya better. wink.gif

i don't think having that much family info on the web is a good idea. AOL had members profiles but all are abandon now because of all the crazies out there.

The profile info you enter into this web will be scan and read by all the big seach engine at some point, and when I type your name is Google or yahoo all your family info will come up.

We have the BCA roster, but it's not eaasy read by our Nigiria friends who want you to cash a check.

Same goes with the Hemmings car catolog.

Business Phonebook Results 1 - 3 of 3 for Lamar Brown ga. (0.20 seconds)

Lamar Brown and Associates Inc - (770) 339-4728 - 162 E Crogan St NW, Atlanta, GA 30303 - Yahoo! Maps - MapQuest

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brown Lamar A Dr Optmtrst - (912) 537-4447 - 300 Durden St, Vidalia, GA 30474 - Yahoo! Maps - MapQuest

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brown Lamar A Dr Optmtrst - (912) 537-4538 - 709 Adams St, Vidalia, GA 30474 - Yahoo! Maps - MapQuest

Residential Phonebook Results 1 - 5 of 16 for Lamar Brown ga. (0.20 seconds)

Lamar Brown - (229) 928-9574 - 215 Little Bear Branch R, Americus, GA 31719 - Yahoo! Maps - MapQuest

Lamar Brown - (770) 277-1375 - 2130 Monticello Pl NW, Atlanta, GA 30303 - Yahoo! Maps - MapQuest

Lamar Brown - (706) 245-7685 - 3317 Deep Creek Rd, Bowman, GA 30624 - Yahoo! Maps - MapQuest

Lamar Brown - (706) 694-3371 - 117 Farrar Rd, Cohutta, GA 30710 - Yahoo! Maps - MapQuest

Lamar Brown - (770) 787-7189 - 6157 Shamrock Dr SE, Covington, GA 30014 - Yahoo! Maps - MapQuest

It's just a thought.

Guest imported_MrEarl

Tommy (and now I'm sure that's not your real name);), I appreciate your comments, however I've looked over my profile and figure there's really nothing there that would interest anyone in Nigeria. And if they know what an Akbash is (170 pounds of white terror if you so much as look at me wrong) and see that I served during Vietnam then they better take into account the AK47 I keep at arms length and stay the hell away.

Now however, in case I did want to lessen the likelyhood of someone looking up my phone number or whatever else, what info would you suggest not entering into the profile. Would deleting last names or otherwise altering the name such as is done with the email address take care of it? I pose this as a serious question as I do feel strongly that some of the info on the profile page would help in several areas aside from just helping members become more acquainted. BUT I certainly don't want to prompt anyone to display info that might end up with them being put in harms way. I do indeed realize there are crazies out there but feel there is a need to weigh the importance of high security over the loss of freedom to display any info about ones self for fear that it may end up in wrong hands.Again thanks for your input and I will take your and any other input into account and at some point edit the original post accordingly.

My e-mail address and other profile information has been listed here for at least five years. During that time, I have never received an unwanted e-mail originating from this forum. I understand that there are those who prefer to remain anonymous, but there has been great value for me in both "being known" and "knowing" others on this forum. My time in Flint two years ago, for example, was memorable and satisfying in part because of friendships and connections established as a result of this forum. It is the people in the BCA that make it a great organization, and I would have lost a great deal had I been unwilling to make myself known.

Note to self: don't [censored] off MrEarl! smile.gif I'll echo the others, I've had my minimal information and obfuscated email address posted for a couple of years now on this board, and have had no problems that I know of. As with anything, it takes some small amount of common sense when posting informtion/profiles on websites (this board included). Your first name or a monicker, your email address in the form of "myname<AT>yahoo.com" to limit the spiders, general location (ie. Northern California), and then go to town on your interests, hobbies, etc. I wouldn't think those would cause much concern for folks with regards to intrusion or identify theft.

Things that are dangerous and can be used against you are all the things that can "narrow you down" , ie street address, phone numbers, license plates, full names, combinations of the above, etc. Another BIG reason, and one we would all share as members of this board, is being too exact about where you are and the type of vehicle you drive. If'n I was a thief, I know where I'd starting looking for exact whereabouts of highly collectible vehicles smile.gif It's not like our old Buicks have laser cut keys and code scramblers... simple wire cutters and a coat hanger could probably allow someone to take off with one of our babies. <insert LoJack advert here>

Budd

I, too, like to see what's going on in people's profiles and keep mine updated. I'm guessing that any information you may post here is readily available elsewhere (phone book anyone?). If you're crafty, you can easily find my name, address and probably even my phone number using the Internet. However, the Internet's sheer size protects most folks from troublemakers. Go ahead and do a Google search for <span style="font-weight: bold">"Matt Harwood"+Cleveland</span> and see what shows up. You'll get a thousand hits. In fact, a good number of people who end up visiting my web site get there by typing <span style="font-weight: bold">"Matt's 1941 Buick"</span> or <span style="font-weight: bold">"Matt Harwood"+Buick</span> into a search engine. Not one of them has been from Nigeria or offered me a sweet deal on some Nigerian gold.

Go ahead and fill out some info on your profile. If someone wants you bad enough to mine the AACA message forums to find out your nickname and what kind of car you drive, your goose is already cooked. There are much more reliable and useful places to find important data, and, as recent events have indicated, none of them are safe.

/not going to live scared

Guest imported_MrEarl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go ahead and fill out some info on your profile. If someone wants you bad enough to mine the AACA message forums to find out your nickname and what kind of car you drive, your goose is already cooked.

/not going to live scared </div></div>

Thanks everyone for your input. Hopefuly everyone will take into account your comments and, as I read it, see that it's not that risky or dangerous to post their profile .

and yea Matt, me too..."ain't gonna live sceered" wink.gif

Guest imported_MrEarl

ttt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I?d like to encourage all new comers as well as you old timers of the BCA Forum to take the time to complete their Profile Page. The Profile Page contains personal information of a member and can be accessed by other members by clicking on a persons User Name (Example-MrEarl) in the upper left hand corner of a post. The information that can be included is your name (this is your name, not your Display/User name (and for security you may want to only list your first name), your email address (this can be given as JoeBlow@removemefirst.yeeha.com so people can still figure out what your real email address is, but spamming agents can't just parse through the page and spam you), birthday, your homepage if you have one, your occupation (or if you?re retired what you use to do), hobbies, your location, a short bio of yourself/family/cars you own (hint-limit it to 250 character or it won't be accepted and you might lose it all when you go back to change it), other clubs you are member of, your signature and an avatar. You can access and update your Profile Page by going to the top of this page, right clicking My Home, scrolling to the bottom of that page to Main Configuration and Editing "Personal Information".

This group has always been a close knit group of friendly folks that are always ready to lend a helping hand. I believe that by having this information available for others to see, it would promote even more friendly exchanging of ideas and opinions and a greater sense of comradeship within the group.It helps to know where others are from especially if they have cars or parts for sale of need help with something. So while it?s on your mind why not go take care of this little task rat now. If you need help re the avatar, pictures etc just post your question here.

Lookin forward to gettin to know ya better. wink.gif </div></div>