Elusive 56 door trim

Guest imported_MrEarl

Guest imported_MrEarl

I may have spotted the elusive between the doors sweepspear trim some of you have been looking for on eBay. Also some bumperettes. Sorry JohnD, no J bars yet, but I'm still a looking fer ya. go here .

Guest imported_56BuickSuper

Thanks for the heads up. I saw these the day they were listed and sent an email asking for the part numbers. He answered Saturday and they fit a Special or Century , and they are both left side.

MrEarl, Thank you for keeping an eye out for these. As you are aware, Robert Budd and I both need a pass side one for a Super, Model 53. This is a one year, one Model part only, I don't know if I will ever find them.

With regards to the J bars, I keep watching the Tuttles on "American Chopper" fabricate the most elaborate of metal pieces for their custom motorcycles-- maybe I can send them a plea to make a few dozen sets of J bars for the community here! I mean really, they look like simple stamped steel with mounting brackets welded inside. Mine are actually repairable, but will cost me a bit of money to do so. I saw a pair of J bars go for almost $1000 on ebay a couple of years ago, and have seldom seen any listed since. There's just enough demand for them to keep the price high, but not enough to have them mass produced.

As for that darn passenger side trim piece, --- phooey. I'll make one at some point, somehow...

Guest jef1956

Are these the sweeps on the outside with the bigger diameter chrome bead?

Is there any after market one's? Have replaced the inside one's but can't find the outside and we're getting close to the finish just put on the front bumper last night after getting it back from the chromer. Let me know.

Budd, that is a great idea on the J bars. . I think the bend in these would demand someone with some real experience and know how. Don't know if I'd spend a grand on them, but I'd be willing to dump some money to have a solid set. Problem is they'd probably need a solid one to start with, and where would you find that?

Mr. Earl. I really appreciate you looking. you haven't found any unpitted mustache bars have you?

JD

Guest imported_MrEarl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I saw a pair of J bars go for almost $1000 on ebay a couple of years ago, and have seldom seen any listed since. </div></div>

So do you think I underpriced those I sold the guy in New Zealand for $100, plus I threw in a pair of complete tailights, bumperettes, a vent window regulator, clock and glove compartment. DARN crazy.gif

Guest imported_MrEarl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DUHHH, what are J bars? </div></div>

Bhigdog

They're sorta like 1956 bumper bumpers. They're chrome accent pieces that fit on each side of the rear bumper in a J configuration. They collect dirt, road salts and moisture and hold it and are not long lived. Anybody got a close up photo.

Yes Lamar, you "left some money on the table" as they say. You come across another pair (any model for 1956 that has them) and you have yourself a desirable part to sell. So difficult these are to come by, that I saw photo's of Leif's car in Sweden (If'n I'm remembering correctly) where he torched off the UPPER wrap around portion of a donor rear bumper to fashion a pair of lower J bars. Looks pretty good, actually. You can't tell from 10 feet smile.gif

The trim piece that Dan and I are talking about is unique to our model 53's. It's a little piece of trim about 1/2" by 1" that attaches to the center piller of the 4 door sedan, and fills the little gap from the front door sweep spear on it's way down as it meets the rear door sweep spear. Most folks probably wouldn't notice it, but the owner always does smile.gif Driver side pieces seem to be available here and there, but the passenger side (which Dan and I are both missing) seem to be elusive. Probably more accident repairs on the passenger side of vehicles back then? Who knows...

Budd

I am the fortunate guy that purchased the J-bars from Lamar. I had been looking for 3 years and in that time discovered 2 sets and paid for them but sadly they "got lost" in the post. We have some clever Kiwis here in NZ so I am also looking at the possibility of having some recreated. If I have any success you people will be the first to know.

Guest imported_MrEarl

HEY ROSS,

So did you ever get the package delivered on to you from California. I've been worried that they never made it to you. How's the project coming. Would love to see it in the Me and My BUick Forum.

BTW...what is a Kiwi? confused.gifsmile.gif

OOPS, Sorry Lamar I overlooked the email when the J-bars arrived, so pleased to see a real set. I also found another pair of J's that I am waiting for so hopefully I'll be able to have some created or have some to sell/return.

I haven't had much time for this site recently, too many other things happening. I will try and post some pictures over the next week of the car developing. A "Kiwi" is a small native flightless bird that only comes out at night, a name adopted by "New Zealanders".