I need NOS interior help!

Guest AWBE

Just keep in mind that that NOS fabric is still as old as the car is so it needs to be treated with respect when in the car.<P>About 20 years ago, a friend had a '64 Cadillac that he was getting fixed up. He got the body and paint work done, plus the mechanical stuff too as it would be a family car when done. He went to great lenghts to get the correct OEM seat fabrics. When done, the trim shop workmanship was decent, but not show winning, but the whole deal looked good.<P>I saw the car about 2 yrs later and the interior was "gone". The NOS fabric was in pieces due to the kids "being kids". It was the daily driver family car too so you can imagine that situation.<P>"Repro" fabric would be the better choice to me due to the fact it is "new" or "no age". But anytime you repro something without licensing consent, it has to be a little different than the original (to avert copywrite infringement issues). Typically, it could be a lower thread count or less backing material.<P>Just as with the NOS motor mounts the other week, the same things could also happen with NOS interior fabrics. <P>Just some thoughts . . .<BR>NTX5467

I have a 64 Sportwagon that has deluxe interior that was unique to the wagon only (and maybe only offered 1 year). Seats are white vinyl with black floral embossed strips sewn on the seat backs. I have been able to salvage the black strips from the rear 2 seats, but the front strips are much worse for wear. SMS interiors could reproduce them but the cost would prove to high I think. Are there any other vendors out there worth contacting about NOS? Has anybody seen this material in a wrecking yard? I would be very grateful and pay a reasonable amount for some salvageable pieces. I do have a photo of the material if that would help. Thanks in advance, GH

If you find and use NOS just do not set or touch the interior, which makes no sense. As NTX5467 says it is 38 years old. The threads are all but dry rotted even though they may look fine. <P>I know a few who spent a fair amount of money restoring there vehicle only to dye there orginial interior or use NOS and have it look bad or ripped in no time.

I hear what you guys are saying about NOS. the original seats were like peanut brittle. I have had the third seat and the middle seat redone using new seat vinyl. I then reused the bands from the original seats as these looked brand new and are still very plyable. the front ones split only where they are sewn to the seat. This stuff is VERY thick and heavy almost like a leather strap. I only need about 4 feet of it and having it reproduced with the detailed embossed floral designs would not be cost efficient-as it is but a Sportwagon after all. GH