Touch screen repair?

JOHNEL

Has anyone used the repair service that appears on ebay? If so what was your experience? How is it working after repair?

After reading some the post I am not sure what I need repaired. What is the difference between the touch screen and the CRT? My touch screen functions work, it just no longer lights up to show the display.

Most of the time the terms CRT ( Cathode Ray Tube ) and Touch Screen are used interchangeably to refer to the unit in the center of the dash on the '88-89s. Actually they are two separate functioning pieces bolted and connected together to form one unit. The CRT is the rear portion and has a picture tube in it and the front portion is the touch screen that you use to change the functions in the car. Most of the time when the screen wiggles or goes bad it is the CRT portion. When this happens if you remember where to touch you can still change your radio and heater functions. When you send it in to be repaired or if you replace it with a good used one you would replace the two pieces as a unit.

There is also a Cathode Ray Tube Controller ( CRTC ) mounted under the console near the gas pedal that assists in the operation of the CRT/touch screen but these don't go bad very often.

I do have some good used units and can be reached at jfinn@cpinternet.com

Guest California_Reatta

I have not even heard of the service on EBay. I might be willing to try it out as a guinea pig if you send me a link. My CRT and CRTC are working fine, but the touchscreen buttons are not working. I took the whole thing apart and best I can figure, the problem is on the circut board that controls the touchscreen portion. If this EBay place can fix it I might sent it off to them. Please send that link to jmmale@verizon.net Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

For those who are interested, I purchased the service. the screen works great at the moment and service took less than a week. In addition he was very good when I asked what had to be done. He seems to be a pretty honest guy.