The Lexus vs. The '53 Skylark

Guest Dans 77 Limited

Brad 54 you seem awfully willing to cut OTHER peoples pay & benefits.I wonder how willing you would be to accept a pay cut if you were a Union member. Im a proud member of teamsters local 249 and doing the job I do I earn every penny of my pay(Not any where near 45.00 hr). In light of the recent Worldcom & Enron scandals I think you would be wise to find another place to lay the blame for the state of the American workplace . Believe me when I tell you that the rank & file of ANY Union had nothing to do with that fiasco, but the bottom line is the little guy will foot the bill.<P>Dan

So amidst of all the slander, is it safe to say that we all disagree with the actions of the individual in the commercial?<P>By the way, with the current market trend, you know he's gonna have to auction off the Buick, return the Lexus to the dealership and probably sell his house.<P>Cheers!

in the short run its'a trend. in the long run its'a freeze-out game. WHO-can-freeze-WHO-out the longest. <P>Let him keep the lexus and the kids.<BR>get his Buick as collateral and just take over the payments on his (young) wife and house. 2 or 3 years of those payments is about all anyone could stand anyway so what the Hey????

• 1 year later...

This is really an interesting subject for me because I own a 39 Buick Special which, other than my wife and daughters, is the love of my life. But if there is another Buick I lust after above all, it is a '53 Skylark - just wish I could afford one. But the funny thing, or not so funny to some people I suspect, is that my "every day" driver is a '92 Lexus SC 400 coupe. I like the way it drives, is dependable and pretty easy on the eyes. But if it helps any, due to current lack of garage space, it's the Lexus that sits out and braves the elements. Certainly not the Buick!

And I'm willing to bet the Toyota ad agancy is totally unaware that Buick built Century and LeSabre <span style="font-weight: bold">"LUXUS"</span> models 1973-74. Took my high school driver-ed behind the wheel training in a black 1973 Century Luxus sedan with a blood red interior.

• 2 months later...

The strange thing is that even though the 53 skylark was one of the most beautiful cars ever built. My uncle spent about 5 years cutting and modifing his because he was jealous of hard tonneau on the Eldorado of the same year. He spent more money and time modifiying that car then he ever did driving it. But to the original question, lets see, which car will be worth more next year than it is today? I think it only proves once again that Lexus owners are pious idiots. I seriously looked at the RX350 a couple years ago but was put off by the snobbery factor of the salesman. After comparing the cheap tin unibody SUV to the Tahoe, full frame, heavy duty, go anywhere, pull anything, and a salesman who was willing to be personal and negioate the price from 39k to 33k 5k less than the jap junk at 38k there was no contest. Oh yea, if you want to know what misarable bastards the japanese were, read a book called "Fly Boys"

Without getting too deep into this deal, I'll concur that I was/am annoyed by that commercial and the whole premise it's built upon. You can read into it what you desire, but the interesting question would be "Why were BOTH cars NOT in the garage to start with?" If that was in a genuine "homeowner's association area" with certain restrictions, he could not leave anything in the driveway overnight anyway.

Afterall, I suspect the Buick would be a "hobby car" and the Lexus is to maintain day to day "apperances", even though it is a nice vehicle to own (based on lease residuals and such), if that's what you like. Therefore, any damage done to the Lexus would be more time critical on the repair side of things than getting the Buick repaired. Besides, they might put him in a Camry rent car while the Lexus was being fixed . . .

When we did the dealer training on the Cadillac SRX, one of the competitors we looked at was the Lexus RX300. Even the V-6 SRX made the Lexus look a little wimpy in most areas. When you compare both vehicles side by side, forget the "desireability" of the Lexus nameplate, the Cadillac comes out on top. When you drive them back to back on the handling course, it's obvious the Cadillac can carve corners much better than the Lexus can--period--and still have a good ride. Just depends on where your priorities might be. Besides, I'd rather have a sportwagon CTS than a Camry in drag.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Guest Dynaflo2

Nice to see this thread alive again. It occurred to me that the Skylark used in the commercial likely belongs to someone in the BCA. I wonder who it was and if he/she knew what the story of the commercial was to be.