One hundred years of Buick Celebration?

Guest sintid58

Guest sintid58

In 1953, for the 50th anniversary of Buick Motor Division, they built a beautiful custom convertible called the Skylark and sold it in limited quantity. They also came out with their new V/8. For the 100th what do we get, but a very slightly warmed over Park Avenue that is five years old with only three portholes. Something is very wrong with that picture. And the Bengal project that would have made a very nice 100th anniversary car, canceled by GM. One has to wonder what the GM brass has planned for this great car company?? confused.gif" border="0<p>[ 07-04-2002: Message edited by: sintid58 ]

Email bob.lutz@gm.com if you want to really be heard, I don't know what else to tell ya, and I have worked for this lovely company for 23+ years, and this coming year has the most exciting products since at least 1970! Unfortunately none of them are Buicks other than the Buick wanna be a GMC, Rainier, and the only thing good about that is that it will only be available with the 5300 V8!<BR>See ya in 2003 in Flint. RV shocked.gif" border="0

I purchased a 1997 Ultra new on June 1, 1997. I have owned it for 5 years.<P>The warmed over 2003 portholed 100th Ultra will be the 7th model year of the current Park Avenue body style.<P>Buick certainly missed the boat in celebrating its 100th with a very special car such as the Skylark in 1953 for the Golden Anniversary. They had plenty of opportunity with the Bengal, Blackhawk, LaCrosse, etc. but squandered their time and money in preparing for the 100th Centennial.<P>I will not be buying a 2003 Buick for two reasons:<P>1. I prefer to buy the first year of a new body style<P>2. I have had terrible quality problems with the following past new purchases:<P>1985 Electra 380<BR>1988 Park Avenue<BR>1993 Oldmobile 98<BR>1997 Park Aveunue Ultra<P>I have finally learned my lesson and will teach Buick and GM one. <P>I will not be a future repeat loyal customer as I have been let down by the manufacturer and the dealerships that serviced each of the vehicles listed above too many times.

Guest Skyking

I don't know! I keep reading these posts about Buick's designs and get more confussed. Look at Honda Accord for example. They haven't changed body styles or colors in the last decade and they are the biggest selling cars in this country. I really don't think is has to do with styling anymore in this country to sell cars.

Guest sintid58

My point had nothing to do with the styles but with the fact that they really have nothing special planned for the 100th other than a (very) warmed over old car design. I think that is sad, especially because they did have the Bengal on the board and could have used that as a spring board for young buyers and a 100th anniversary car as well. The Skylark was not a huge financial success but added greatly to the appeal of a whole generation (and more) of Buick enthusiasts and I think this is a sad statement of the way GM is going these days. frown.gif" border="0

I don't guess you ever saw Lutz's explanation as to why the Bengal was cancelled. I saw the Bengal up close and personal when it was at our regional show last October. It was one of those cars that might have looked good at a distance, but was not configured to be a real production car in its conceptual form. Personally, I think the Blackhawk was a much better vehicle.<P>Considering the way GM was going under the Zarella "bunch", it's a wonder they ever thought about doing anything special for the 100th anniversary of anything as they were always, reportedly, in meetings. The "Last 500" Intrigues were seemingly an afterthought too and had a specific color plus interior items specific to that "model". The last Eldorados had two special colors for them and little else special or unique. In those perspectives, what is being done for the 100th Anniversary Buick LeSabre and Park Avenue are "par for the course", so to speak. <P>It's always nice to have the "first year" and the exclusivity that allegedly goes with that, but it's also an observation that it takes about 2 yrs for a GM vehicle of old to get "right" with things (fit and finish, etc.). Therefore, it seems you have paid your dues for your orientation, but it's your time and money.<P>I concur there is little new for the 100th anniversary, but something's better than nothing! Considering the model cycles that were already in place, what we're getting is probably all we could have gotten anyway. If they'd put the supercharged engines in a LeSabre 100th Anniversary Edition, for examaple, it might be a better deal and give people a reason to buy them. <P>As I understand it, there will be no production limits on these 100th Anniversary Buicks either. That takes the "low production number" collectors out of the loop too. But I suspect that how many are built will be determined by how hard the GM reps merchandize those cars to the dealers.<P>I wasn't aware the Park Avenue had been so "stable" in its styling until I looked at things a while back, yet new features have been added every so often. Vehicles in that price class typically don't change as often as in other price classes anyway. Change can breed contempt just as much as familiarity can--just depends on the market and its clientel.<P>I regret that you've had poor experiences with your past GM vehicles during their warranty period, but I strongly suspect there are some other realities at play here too.<P>Just some thougths . . .<BR>NTX5467

Joe (The Old Guy) is right. Buick does spend millions on golf. <P>My wording was incorrect in my previous post. Buick squandered their time leading up to the Buick 100th.<P>They did not squander their money on the Buick 100th Centennial Celebration. <P>They did squander money and engineering time on their most recent concept cars (Bengel, Blackhawk, LaCrosse, etc.) that should be turing into new Buick products about now with something very special for the Buick 100th.<P>And guess what kind of car all the golfers drive?<P>Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Infiniti, etc. Ever see a big name golfer in Buick other than the courtesty cars Buick supplies to the major golf events they sponsor?<P>Even Tiger Woods drives a Cadillac Escalade! And he is a paid Buick celebrity spokesperson featured in their advertising.

Oh, by the way, I received my August 2002 Automobile magazine yesterday. On the front cover is a spy photo of a BMW Z4 which kind of reminds me of the Bengel styling. Tiger Woods ought to be the spokesperson for BMW if he is looking for a roadster!<P>I understand why Lutz canceled the Bengel. It was not a produceable parts bin car like he was able to successfully produce at Chrysler (PT Cruiser, etc.), etc.<P>That is GM's problem. They try to come out with something all out new which is not easily produced instead of learning from other's success.<P>Maybe Lutz will turn things around but I am sick and tired of waiting. Zarrella and crowd were suppose to turn things around too with their product management turnaround spin.<P>I owned a 1986 Mercedes Benz 300E from new for 15 years and 165,000 miles. I had no where near the quality problems and rust problems of the Buicks and Olds I have owned since 1985.<P>It is true that GM does not get initial totally new model year problems fixed for two to three years and in my case even longer past the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty. This is the problem they need to fix.

Guest sintid58

Also on the cover of the new Automobile magazine is a leader for an article about a new possible GTO. Inside it talks about the possibility of GM bringing a Holden with a V/8 to the US for Pontiac. Why not for Buick for the 2003 celebration, why not redo the ugly Monte Carlo with a little class and make it a new Buick GS why not any number of other 2 doors that could have been built for Buick. Sorry but it looks like GM and Buick are too damn busy promoting chasing the little white balls around some grass to care about whether anyone in my generation buys new Buicks. (I am 45) I did just get a new Rendevous and do like it very much but if this is the way GM plans on keeping Buick around for another hundred years I have a feeling this may be my last new Buick. mad.gif" border="0

I just got home from the National in Kokomo. (A great show, I thought. Well attended and a very active swap meet.) The 2003 Ultra was parked inside with the Blackhawk and a number of older Buicks mianly on loan from GM. <P>I did not recognize it as different from the current model until the second day! I thought it was just off a local dealer's lot, and I'm a fairly astute observer of cars. Albeit I didn't waste my time getting right up next to it until I'd done what I came to do. Still the car could be driven down any street in the US for hours before <I>anyone</I> recognized it for what it was. <P>Not that it was all that bad of a car, just the same one they've been building essentially since before anyone ever heard of Bill Clinton. I think the portholes were a good idea, but they seem much too large in execution. The new grill (emulating the '54 waterfall probably more than any other) is a little garish, but I think it's a minor improvement. <P>Mainly, it sure seems to be something less than Hyundai or Dodge manages to do <I>every</I> year! mad.gif" border="0<P>One thing it <I>may</I> do is cement Buick's reputation as an old man's car. Judging by the crowd that was gathering around it this afternoon after the judging was complete, very few people who still have their original hair color will be interested in it. <P>And I think that <I>is</I> deliberate! frown.gif" border="0<P>Does anyone else hear someone writing on a wall somewhere? shocked.gif" border="0<p>[ 07-13-2002: Message edited by: Dave@Moon ]

Guest my3buicks

Dave, I have to disagree with you. I found the new Park Ave to actually have a bit of a muscular look to it. It said luxury, but with those 17 inch chrome wheels, chrome exhaust tips and that new grill design, it seemed to have a kick ass attitude. And most people I heard talking about it seemed to think it was a good improvement. I'm 41(don't think that qualifies as an old man yet) and I would love to have it at my disposal. Way to go Buick, not a clean slate, but a great job with the refreshing facelift.( Although the V8 was introduced for 53, the 53 Buicks ehre just a facelifted 52).