Tiger Woods and Buick

BUICK RACER

RV,<P>What is it you dont get ? The fact Buick is trying to attract a younger and more affluent audience by having a great golfer advertise their product ?<P>Or dont you get the whole "Tiger" mystique that is prevelant now ? <P>I think the whole thing is good for Buick and I hope they continue his contract. I dont see why he drives a Caddy but at least its GM.

Bill,<P>You DON'T know why he drives a Cadillac Escalade? Have you SEEN a Buick Rendezvous?? <P>Rendezvous: Tons of plastic made to look like brushed aluminum or carbon fiber, wimpy V-6 engine, made in Mexico by guys making less than $3 per hour (according to the Associated Press), heavily discounted and rebated to keep sales up<P>Escalade: Tons of REAL leather and wood(that matches!), one of GM's most powerful V-8 engines, made in Texas, sold with little discounts or rebates and often out of stock at local dealers with a waiting list<P>If you were the richest, most sucessful golfer of all time, would you really have to think about it? <P>I guess I should be glad he doesn't advertise for BMW--at least THEIR sports utility vehicle is made in the U.S. <P>Joe<P>[ 07-01-2002: Message edited by: Reatta Man ]<p>[ 07-01-2002: Message edited by: Reatta Man ]

what I don't get is Escalade - a Chevy truck with $1000 in extra trimmings to justify doubling the price. I know - late market response to Lincoln tapping into this first.

I read a short interview of Tiger in The Automotive News (July 1, 2002 edition) last night. Tiger's very happy with his Buick contract and has enjoyed being associated with the "Buick family" as he called it. There was no mention of when the next contract will be negotiated.<P>I read the DetNews article, Roberta, and it appears the script was wanting him to be something other than the good guy he is. Hence, he wasn't comfortable with it and questioned it (from what I could see).<P>The Escalade might have a humble Chevrolet as it's base, but with all of the stuff it has (AWD, electronic suspension controls with Stabilitrack, specific instrument cluster and instrument panel items, electric heat in the rear seats, and other Cadillac specific items) it's more worth the price over an similar Tahoe (which can peak at about $41,000 or so window sticker) than the Lincoln Blackwood is compared to a Ford pickup.<P>The Blackwood's stainless steel lined bed (with the rear bed cover and related items) was a great concept vehicle and a neat production vehicle, but where they blew it was on the interior. For some reason, the rear seats on Ford crew cab pickups have been "small" for some reason--narrow doors, no rear seat leg room, etc. The current models have what amounts to two jump seats with a wide console between then. All the Lincoln has is different upholstery from the Ford. Even the Navigator has a much better rear seat accomodation! It looks like a Lincoln from the outside, but inside it screams "Ford with a different leather interior" to me.<P>When I compared both at the new car show, the Cadillac wins hands down inside and out--period. If I was going spend that kind of money, it would probably be a BMW X5 or the Escalade, but the Escalade would probably be the pick due to greater cargo area.<P>The first gen Escalade was a warmed over Tahoe, but the current one has enough Cadillac-specific stuff in it to earn it's Wreath and Crest. The only thing I'd add would be some brushed stainless sill plates with "CADILLAC" on them for all four doors and the rear hatch.<P>Enjoy!<BR>NTX5467