How to ID Marmon rear end.

ford35lh

As my math teachers said, too many variables! Significant changes were made during the '20s from the Models 34, 74, 75, L. 68, 78, Roosevelt, etc. Are there any casting marks/numbers available? Photographs? Is the previous owner talking about the whole rear end or just the gears?

No pictures. I believe he meant complete rear end.

I know the wheels in front are slightly different

than the rears. Someone said all 4 wheels are

Buffalo style. Not sure what that means. There is

also a fender mounted spare for each axle.

One axle has 3 bolts and 3 pins??

• 5 weeks later...

Finally able to dig out the barn doors.

Upon inspection the front wheels are held

on with 3 bolts and located on 3 pins.

These are Kissel.

The rear wheels are held on by a nut under

a hubcap or some combination of the two.

Of the dual spares there is one for each

axle.

Tell me what or where to look for Marmon

evidence and I will proceed further.

ford

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

Hi,

I have had some experience with Kissel Kars over the years and currently own four of them.

If this is the 1922 Model 6-45 that was for sale on the PreWar car site then maybe I can shed some light. The rear axle on this car is definitely not 1922 however it could still be an original Kissel item. In 1927 Kissel changed from Timkin to Columbia rear ends on their Model 6-55 and 8-65 cars. Early in 1928 Kissel also changed from Buffalo to Dayton wire wheels. The 1928 Kissel wheel (dayton) had a six sided hub cap with a locking tab which would be released when the wrench was applied. I believe these hubs to be similar to the Marmon Roosvelt cars. The Model 1928 6-55 has 19 inch wheels while all other Kissels 1928 onwards had 18 inch wheels. In 1929 Kissel used the same spinner hub cap that was used on Auburn cars.

I quick check of the Diff maker in this car might give a clue to whether it came from the Kissel plant or is from another make. From Mid 1924 up until the end of 1928 Kissel used External Contracting brakes (Lockheed) which might also give another clue.

Cheers

Kisselman27