'52 Special Help

Stan W.

I just bought a '52 model 41D and drove it 500 miles home. Everything went fine except for the ride. The car was floating all the time and it has a pretty good left front wheel hop at about 60 mph. At 70 mph the hop goes away. The tires are new bias plys with new weights on them. Would worn shocks cause both problems? Thanks

Hi,<BR> Worn shocks will definitelt give the floating, possibly wheel hop, but check balnce again you may have lost a weight other possiblity if the car sat along time may have flat spot, or bad tire (even new) try switching tire position to see if things change. <BR> Another two things with float under inflated tires, and worn suspension bushings/and or broken panhard rod or mounts.

Your Buick should have lever action shocks. They are almost indestructable but the need to be topped up ocasionaly and filled properly. Basicly you take out the plug on the top and fill it with shock oil, disconnect the arm from the suspension and work it up and down. Refill and continue doing this. In my own experience to get the ride I liked I would keep pumping and adding until I could not move the shock arm with atwo foot bar on the end of it. Hook up the linkage and away you go.<BR>Happy hobbying.

Guest Straight eight

Oops , only the rear shocks can be disconnected. On the front it is the upper control arm that connects to the shock. On the front, just bounce the car.<P>I had a 52 76C that did the same thing. It was tire balance and shocks being filled, and finally front end alignment that took away the problem. smile.gif" border="0

You might also check the tire for roundness. It has been my experience that some of the bias tires built today do not have the quality control they should have. Jack the car up and spin the tire to see if it runs true. Uf it does not, you can either have it trued at a tire shop or sometimes putting it on the rear will resolve the problem.

I can't believe it!<BR>I was just about to post something similar on this forum with a related situation and you people have stepped up to the plate and answered my question(s) on this topic!<P>I'm going to top off my lever-action (front) shocks this weekend! Thanks for posting the information!<P>Have a great day (in your Buick of course).