49 roadmaster help needed

old-blue

i buoght a 49 roadmaster over the Memorial weekend it has been in a garage for the past 25 years solid body and it is complete. the question i have is what is the best way to get the motor going after all those years i tryed to spin it over by the fan i did not try to hard but it did not want to move. any help would be appreciated!<BR>also cheak out my ad in buy/sell for my 1950 special which i have to sell to bring the 49 home<BR>thanks

I would pull the3 plugs out and put som Marvel Mystery oil in the cylinders. That is pretty good about loosining things up. I would then let it sit for a while. Once it is to a point where you can turn it with a socket on the crank (1" socket) I would change all the fluids, pull the valve cover and liberally coat all the rockers with oil, pull the distributor and spin it until you have oil pressure.<BR>Then try and start it.<BR>The problem is that something is probably stuck in your engine after that long. You need to loosen it up before trying to start it.<BR>Good luck and have fun.

If indeed the car has been sitting for 25 years, it would be a VERY good idea to pull the oil pan and clean he grunge out. <BR> 25 years of sitting is long enough to allow all the dirt held in suspension in the oil to settle out...into the bottom of the pan where the oil pickup is. right where it can be pumped to the dry bearings...causing all kinds of problems<BR> Oil pan gaskets are cheap, oil pans on early Buicks are not too hard to pull, and a heck of a lot easier than rebuilding an engine.<BR> Bill<BR> ( Who has learned the hard way) frown.gif" border="0