1972 Olds 98 Bumpers - Part Nrs. Needed

Laurence

TexasRed, Rocketraider, & Henry .... thanks for the information.

Here's my bumper issue. My rear bumper has serious rusting, especially on right side where exhaust is located. The fronts are ok, but the chrome has totally peeled off. These are the car's originals.

My options are (1) take to a replater, or (2) try to find good used ones or New Old Stock.

Considering the rear's badly rusted condition, I'm worried about finding a replater who will do a good job - I don't care about cost. I don't have bids yet. I'm located in Maryland - I am considering three places in Tennessee to get bids from and check their operations out.

I've been trying to locate good used ones and NOS, but that is a chore. I visited an Olds dealer in my area (Washington, DC area). The parts guy suggested that I contact Vintage Parts, LLC in Wisconsin. He said Vintage frequently contacts them to scoop up inventory. Do you guys know Vintage? Here's their website: http://www.vintageparts.org/aboutus.html

To find parts in their inventory I needed the bumpers' part numbers.

_______

Laurence

PS, Rocketraider...what was the Olds forum through which you helped me before (about eight months back)? I tried to find that forum via Google but couldn't find them. Anyway, this looks like a good place also with helpful people.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PS, Rocketraider...what was the Olds forum through which you helped me before (about eight months back)? I tried to find that forum via Google but couldn't find them. Anyway, this looks like a good place also with helpful people. </div></div>

www.oldspower.com . I think you'll find as much help or more here, because people here are more in tune to the full-size and pre-1980 cars. Oldspower has always been more a G-body (80s Cutlass) forum than anything else.

• 2 months later...

Seeking suggestions on where I can obtain substitute bumper rub strips? I would like to install even more robust strips compared to the OEM style. In major urban areas where I reside people don't have any respect for car bumpers...they just smash into them when parking cars. I want some robust rubber strips to protect my rechromed bumpers, which cost over $1,000 and don't want some fool in a parking lot to christen them.

_______

Laurence