Full Size Buick Registry....Continued from V8Buick

Smartin

Well, since I've typed my response twice, and lost it both times due to a glitch in v8buick, I'm taking it over here.

Here's the schtick:

There has been a big interest in starting a complete full size Buick registry from some of the members over there (who are also members here!) so...

Best idea so far is to start a Main site which serves as an anchor for the subdomains of each model/year car:

Main site example: www.fullsizebuicks.com

Subdomain examples: www.fullsizebuicks.centurion.com

www.fullsizebuicks.lesabre.com

etc etc etc

Problem: Lots of $$$ to host/register domain names. Who will pay for this?

So, my proposal...

Most people who are interested in doing this are the most fanatical of their respective interests. I have already registered the domain name www.buickcenturion.com in preparation for a future Centurion registry.

We need to realize that this is no simple task. It takes lots of time and energy, and $$$ to get these sites working properly!! And it's all going to come our of our pockets. I'm already paying hundreds of dollars a year for my 3 sites, and I just added another $100 to the yearly bill for this Centurion site (with all the goodies of course).

You can get cheap hosting from www.doteasy.com for $25 a year, but it has virtually no extras....just a name and some webspace. Simple sites like a personal information site or whatever will run fine with this.

I used to use that package with the Parts Directory, but with the info and traffic I get, I had to upgrade to a MUCH bigger package. It gets expensive fast...

The forum is now open for opinions and suggestions grin.gif

Adam,

I use ipowerweb.com to host the Dual Carb Registry. It's roughly $96/year (in advance to get the maximum savings), and I get massive storage, more bandwidth than I'll ever be able to use, E-mail addresses for everyone who registers, my own domain name(s) and a built-in message board. Take a look at stuff I have at that site, especially the message board, which is top-notch. For $8/month, it's a screaming bargain!

See www.ipowerweb.com.

Note: I have zero affiliation with this company, but I am a satisfied customer.

ok being a webmaster of a few other sites here are my thoughts:

How big will this registry be? If it's just going to be text then it will end up being pretty small. If your going to include pictures it could be alot larger. For the later, pictures are just starting to explode on the scene with the older members (to clarify, digital pictures!).

Maybe we should just have it hosted on the BCA site? Heck they already have a nice start on a registry if you take the membership roster and put it in a database! That would cover all sizes/years. If we could take that info and make it a searchable database, that would be an excellent start.

Now, lets consider all the non-BCA members out there. How about a non-members input page so they could add their information. Moderated of course. Maybe it can also fire off a membership application to their e-mail or snail mail address! This would not only allow us to collect more Buick information, but also maybe kick out some excellent information about the BCA!! Maybe they will even find it to their liking and join up!

What say you? Minimal cost, chance for more members, cool addition to the BCA site? eh?

grin.gif

Adam, I'll offer a couple of observations after reading all of the responses to this topic both here and on V8Buick.

A project to take on creation of a registry for all full-size Buicks seems like a mammoth task. If something like this were to be attempted, John is correct that the BCA's member database would be a good place to start. Clearly, however, there is some difference of opinion regarding the definition and timeframe for full-size Buicks.

You had mentioned to me several months ago your interest in creating a Centurion registry. Given that this is your interest, it would make sense to me to take on this project for starters. As you've pointed out, Centurion production was limited to just three model years and production was relatively low. The point is that a Centurion registry would be a comparatively manageable task covering a discrete model and time period. Some of us think that the Centurion was a "special" model, and there would be a definite interest in creating such a registry. Obviously, I would be quite excited about the idea.

If others wish to start registries for other years and series, let them take the initiative to do so. Your experience in creating a registry for the Centurions could serve as a model to others. I can foresee, for instance, that Paolo might want to create a registry of 1972 Electra 225 owners, 70Electra might be inclined to create a registry of 1960 Buick owners, and I might have a similar interest in a 1959 Buick registry. Ultimately, if these various registries "get off the ground", we might even work to persuade Roberta to create links to them from the BCA home page.

More later . . .

Adam, I am forwarding your comments about the web hosting charges to a fellow enthusiast in my BCA chapter. He is in the business of web design, and he may have some further ideas regarding the web hosting charges.

Back to the idea of a Centurion registry, do you have an idea regarding the type of data that should be included? One thought would be to organize the data by model year and VIN, including color/trim and option details, as well as the owner's name and contact information. Photos would be great, if the site can accommodate this.

I spoke earlier today on the telephone with our newly-registered "1972guru", who has painstakingly documented at least a couple hundred Centurions since 1973. Others have contributed to this effort, including "My3Buicks" and me. Bob has VIN's, colors, option information, date documented, etc. for all of these cars. We do not know the owners of all of these cars and many of the cars probably no longer exist. Still, if there is some interest in accounting for as many of the Centurions as possible, this data could be made available and incorporated over time. Within that framework of VIN's, data for cars with known, current owners could be added with more details and photos.

I'm not at all knowledgeable regarding web design, but would be happy to brainstorm any of this further with you.

I will be collecting ANY information I can get about each car. VIN, options, colors, owners, pictures if possible.....and anything else I can think of.

The fact that it's a HUGE undertaking is an understatement. That's why I chose to stick with the Centurions.

I bought the buickcenturion.com name for $22.50 a year, and hosting charges are $7.95 a month on top of the 22.50.......for all that I get this:

Disk Storage Quota:

1100MB

Traffic Quota:

20GB

Should be enough for now. This is what I have for the parts directory, and I am hosting a BOATLOAD of pictures and files for other people on that site...so my bandwidth has a tendency to go sky high.

I also have a package that allows things like CGI, SQL, SSL, FrontPage extensions, and all kinds of other BS that will make my site run better (I will be able to create forms for entering your vehicle data in the registry via the website).

I'm not interested in a message board, as I see them all the time anyway...the last thing I need to be doing is moderating another Buick board tongue.gif