hi everyone im new here and i think i just made a double post blush.gif

btw smile.gif i have a 89 riviera with touchscreen unit and i wonder if anyone

ever attempted to put a cd player in those cars,any picture or advice will

be really appreciated cause no one where i live is 100 % sure and i dont want

to buy a 200 $ cd player without knowing if ill be able to connect it

thanks everyone

luc

wink.gif

Agreed! Using a "universal" CD changer that uses a particular lower band FM frequency to "broadcast" via the radio antenna would be the best way to do it. In addition to the Riviera group, you also might touch base with the Reatta group on this issue.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Go to Walmart or equivalent and get a 'walkman' type single cd player with the adapter to play through the cassette player. If you burn your own cd's you can usually put at least 2 cd's on one...more if you burn mp3's...just get the player that will play both cd's amd mp3's.

If you need more info on sound systems ask any high school kid.

Willie

Guest imported_MrEarl

Geez, for a minute there Ol' Doc Willie was startin to sound like a high school kid... my dad "burned" some of my 45's one time til I brought my grades up... mp3's ?? wasn't that a character in StarWars? grin.gif

Guest invicta592

Not quite "installing" a CD player, but another thought for you.

My daily driver has no CD player in it either, so I bought an MP3 walkman and plugged in an FM transmitter into it's earphone socket. Tune it into the chosen frequency, and off you go. This FM modulator will fit any audio device with a 3.5 mm jack plug, i.e. MP3 player, cassette or CD walkman, DAB radio, etc

The big bonus as far as I'm concerned is that I can pick it up and put it anywhere else I please. I can take it in a loan car, and tune the radio in... I can hide it in the glove box if necessary... I can take it out of the car for safe keeping... apart from the walkman itself the transmitter is small and hardly noticeable in a pocket.

FM transmitter

Hope you get some great cruisin tunes in there soon cool.gif

Dave

Guest trevor ward

Blimey Dave....,

you almost sound as though you know what you are talking

about grin.gifgrin.gif

Seriously though...there is always a way around a one off fitment of any kind

My '64 Le sabre has a single CD/tuner in the glove box, because there

was no way i was going to cut up an original and complete dash which has

a fully working Sonomatic( even if it is disconnected)

I then fitted a pair of JBL 6x9's under the rear shelf. With a bit of a

head scratch, i drilled NO holes and used some inch thick MDF "spacers"

to be able to use existing holes.....

One side i used the factory rear speaker aperture... and the other side

i used the outlet aperture for the little heating gizmo ,(I think this

was the intended use for this aperture, anyhow)!!

Afterwards i use some surplus matching seating vinyl from S.M.S. and

got creative to end up with a "period" looking shelf with perforations

for the sound to escape grin.gif

One judge at a show this year even asked if it was a factory shelf wink.gif

Good luck with the fitment..........

Trevor....

'64 Le Sabre Hibernating 'til next year..... laugh.gif

Guest Skyking

The reason I suggested the in-trunk CD changer is because I noticed it was for a 89 Riv, which I would say is already equipped with an FM radio. I just bought a brand new Pioneer 12 disc player for my Dodge Ram on ebay for just over $125.00. I play all my MP3's right out of the factory unit.....

Luc,

I owned an 89 Riv for over 150k miles, and had a first generation Pioneer 12 disc changer installed in the trunk, hung it below the center of the rear shelf.

(had to recalibrate the electronic compass unit, as the metal case caused it to pull away form the original setting.)

But the Pioneer display screen fit perfectly just below the Riv's cassette door.

Looked factory as heck, and with the FM modulated unit, just tuned to 89.1 on the dial and had 12 discs at a time.

Don't know the first thing about doing the installation, but had a great auto electronics shop full of high school kids and drove away feeling mighty fine!!

Dale

I've done this three ways.

One with a FM tuner as Dave suggested. They run about 20 bucks and there are several brands to choose from. The sound quality is not very good with these and depending on the model they do perform differently. I still use this on occasion in my Electra. (Here is my post from before)

Adding Audio to a Classic

Two with the trunk CD changer. Most of the ones sold have a plug that goes between your radio and antenna lead. This allows for a clear reception on a low FM channel. Most also have a wired or wireless remote for changing CD's. They all work very well. Had one of these for years without any issues. I've seen them in trunks, uner seats, in glove boxes, in center consoles...all over, they can be installed anywhere in just a couple of hours, very easy to install.

Three I bought an MP3 player from Apple (iPod), then converted *ALL* my music to MP3 format. Now I can take all my selections with me wherever I go. No more CD's! I use either option 1 or an old cassete adapter to listen to it through the radio. It works very well. It's nice to have all your music with you on long trips. You just never know what you'll be in the mood for!

thanks for all the suggestion ill check that next week,the reason i would

like to buy a cd player is because my tape player dont work anymore,and i have a fm modulator unit and it work really bad..you can barely hear something on the radio,ive been told that not all the cd changer will go directly thru my antenna ,most of them have an fm modulator unit that i dont want to test..

ive seen a guy on cardomain who have a 88 reatta with the crt and put a cd player into the arm rest,because the cd player didnt have any space into the cassete hole..i dont know about the riviera but it look like that i have a good

7x5 inch free there,anyway that guy was claiming on his site that he hook up the cd player to the radio ,and the radio is located...in the center console???

could this be true?? i always tought the crt had a radio inside,can anyone confirm this ?? confused.gif

The CD Changer we had did have an FM modulator but it did also have the cable to hook to the back of the radio between the radio unit and the antenna wire. It did not work without this wire hooked up as it did not broadcast a signal anywhere but down that wire. So don't be afraid of the FM modulator in changers, just ask an installer if it is still physically connected between the radio and the antenna. You don't want a "wireless" FM modulator...i'm not sure if they even make those. Also don't confuse a wireless remote with the unit itself. Best thing to do is go to a car stereo store, look at the models, and ask them. They will tell you. With all the custom work those places do now you may even want to let them do the install since they do that sort of thing every day.