Connolly Hide Food

scott12180

I failed to find "Hide Food" for leather conditioning at Hershey, much to my surprise. Looking around on the internet, I see "Hide Food" and "Hide Care". Some seem to be Connolly Leather products, others are not. Seems alot of imitators are using the name "Hide Food".

If it says Connolly, that little green labled jar, is there a difference between "Hide Food" and "Hide Care"? Hide Food has always worked well for me, and I'm not keen to experiment.

Also, recommendations on where to buy Hide Food?

--Scott

Troy, NY

1926 Packard

Maybe try a Tak shop, Check with the phone book for horse back riding supplys and see what you can come up with there, I know my brother uses some sort of produce for his saddles.

Randall,

By far, the best stuff I have used for restoring suppleness to leather is something called Leatherique Rejuvenator oil. It's not really an oil and the description about collagen sounds like something out of cosmetic counter sales hype, but it really works. Not cheap, but you can order it at:

www.leatherique.com

You may have to lightly sand the surface of the old leather with something like 600 wet/dry before you rub in the oil to help it to soak in. It sounds strange but sanding leaves the surface very smooth and breaks any surface barrier from old wax or dirt. Put the oil on overnight or leave it on for a few hours with the car in the sun-- then take it off with the cleaner. I found that the suppleness lasts for about a year.

Leatherique! Great product and wonderful people. I used in on my 450SL Benz for years and it kept the leather supple and smelled nice too. I still have a quart of the stuff and I am thinking of buying another Benz SL just to use it up. smile.gif

I have used the 'soffener' made by Colorplus of Milford,Pa. on the original leather in the front of my 37 packard limousine and it worked very well. Scott, you know my car as it was owned by the late Charlie Nash for many years.

• 2 weeks later...