'66 Wildcat 401 questions

Guest imported_Thriller

Guest imported_Thriller

My '66 Wildcat is coming home from storage shortly so that I can begin work on it and hopefully have it ready for the 06 National in Rochester, MN. It is a 2-dr Wildcat Custom. It's been sitting for a couple years now, but before then, I put in new dual exhaust (replacing the original single) and purchasing new tires (TigerPaws, while not the greatest of tires, are the only feet you should really have under a Wildcat cool.gif ). The engine runs OK, but years ago I had done a compression check and there was some variability. So, here comes the question. Assuming I will do some work to the engine (not sure if it will need an entire rebuild or not), what does anyone think of these rebuild kits that are available (I think Classic Buicks and others offer both a standard kit and one or two performance kits)? I'm not going for 100% perfect original restoration, but I would like to retain the original look, so things like cam, etc. fit the bill. Of course, it would be nice if I didn't need to add a huge fuel cell to the trunk as well, but that is another issue. My goal is not a race car by any stretch of the imagination, and I know the 401 has good power, I was just thinking of wiping a few smiles off Camaro / Mustang drivers faces when they get left in the dust of a full size family car grin.gif

Thanks for any opinions.

Oh, there is some information on the car at Derek's Buicks - that is the general page and for photos and a bit more info, click on the Wildcat link in the middle of the page.

Derek, I just checked out your web page, and I thought I had too many Buicks to work on! Hey, the '66 Wildcat built pretty much stock should whip most mudstangs, and transcamaros! You need to do another compression test, since it sat for a while. I don't think i'd worry too much about parts till you pull it down, if it comes to that. Nailhead Guru Carmen Faso in North Tonawanda, NY is who you need to talk to before you do anything. Also consider a Q-jet instead of the 4-squirter carter, you will need an intake from a '66 425 to do that though. Just some ideas, Roberta

Guest imported_Thriller

Thanks for the info pphil. I had a '62 198 V6 rebuilt last summer - total was about $3000 Cdn. Of course, that wasn't with any go fast goodies.

• 7 months later...

Hey Roberta,

I have a 66 intake manifold that I bought at the Nationals in Plano and was going to put it on my 63 Wildcat. Do I need to find the original carb (hard to find) or does one of the aftermarket folks have one available? I have looked at chevy guys carbs and they appear to have different linkage. Do I just steal the linkage from my carb? Thanks.

Mike