65 Riv engine swaps

Why would you even contemplate such an operation??? You would need to change so many things ( trans--engine mounts--radiator connections--etc) that you can fix the Nail head cheaper and MUCH easier and the 401-425 is by far the better engine. To make the power from a chev that the Buick puts out, you will need to build the Chev or get a high HP crate motor

The 401 I have has alarge crack in the block. Chevy 350s are cheap and plentiful as are performance parts for them. All I'm looking for is some alternatives to completely tearing down the block to fix the crack, and then searching for harder to find 401 performance parts.

Better check the compatibility of your turbohydramatic 400 transmission with a 350 bellhousing. That could be the determining factor. All in all, I bet it would be cheaper and easier to find a 401 or 425 that it would be to install a 350 and then start trying to fabricate headers, exhaust pipes, engine mounts, linkage, accessory brackets, etc. There was a 425 block on e-bay a few days ago -- it may still be there.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree 100% with Joe Taubitz.

The only engines I would consider would be the 401 or 425.

401's are not that rare--425's are harder to find. What

performance parts are you referring to that are that

expensive? In stock form the 401 and 425's put out good

hp. Just get a good cam, a big carb, and a good rebuild.

To put in a small block Chevy you would spend a lot of money,

lower the value of the car, lose torque, go slower, and

accomplish what?

Marty