1966 Starfire 4-speed

greinis

"66 Starfire factory 4-speed"? Yes. How many were made? How many are still on the road? These are the questions that I hear every time I show this "orginal" PA/NJ housed Starfire. The problem is that I can't answer these questions and I am asking for your help. I know that there is one other 66 Starfire known as "Starfire Lite" in AZ. Any others? Any 61 thru 65's? How about any full-size Oldsmobiles with the Muncie 4-speed? confused.gif

Hey, George.....I talked with ya once or twice by phone when ya bought all those parts from Star66.....was looking for a hood at the time.....anyway I got my 66 Sfire all done....came out fairly well.....Ok, Im wondering if /why didnt Harry Mager tell ya any info on how many 4spd cars he knows of.....I know he searched this topic before and even had a article in BOP magazine of your car and asked how many were out there...There is a bronze 66 that was at the NJ nationals in 2000...there are 3, 65 Jetstar I's with 4spds. There are a few 65 Sfires including a couple of convertables...one of which was converted by my friend.....He bought a factory 65 hardtop Sfire from Buffalo which was rotted beyond repair and converted a 65 Sfire convert to 4spd....There are a couple of 66 Dynamic's that I know of a 65 Delta and my 66 Delta 88 with Sfire option engine, bench seat 4spd car....So If ya add up the known cars 65 and 66 Id say maybe a dozen total known out of a few dozen total I guess were built. The 4spd option was only available in 1966 and 1965 big cars...425 powered. It was also available in 1964 on the Jetstar 88 with 330 engine....Thats IT!...Hope this helps your quest....Joe

I was just skimming through a Dec. 1986 Cars and Parts magazine and advertised for sale in Oldsmobile Cars For Sale on page 121 was this ad;

"Olds 1965 rare Starfire convertible, one of a kind, factory 4-speed, stored 12 years, in fine condition, must sell. $5,500.00. 614-898-9730 (OH)"

18 years too late? Henry

My sister and ex-brother-in-law had a 65 Starfire 2 door hardtop as a new car. Black, red interior--4 speed car. They traded it in on a new 66 Mercury Cyclone. I never saw the car again after they got rid of it. It was sold in North East Ohio so could still be around there if someone saved it.

• 3 weeks later...

First time post here. I was recently discussing with a member of my local car club about sightings of Jetstar I's & Starfires. He mentioned to me that he had seen one at the Barrie Automotive Flea Market in Barrie, Ontario, Canada within the last year I believe.

I still have the Owner's Manual & Warranty Booklet from my brother's long-gone 1966 Olds Delta 88 Holiday Sedan (he got rid of the car in 1978). In the manual they mentioned that the 4-speed was available in many of the full-sized models except the 98s. I have never actually seen a factory 4-speed in one though.

Were the 4-speeds the close-ratio M21 behind the 425 engines? Did you have a choice of M20 wide ratio or M21 close ratio? As I understand they had special long tailhousings that were also found on full-sized U.S. Pontiacs of that era.

A neighbor is restoring a '65 Jetstar 1, the 1st and only '65 that I have ever seen here in Canada. If I get his permission, maybe I could post some pics of his progress.

Is anyone interested in me scanning & posting a pic of the 4-speed console as pictured in my '66 Olds Owner's Manual? It has the tach mounted way down low.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

• 2 weeks later...

i would love to see a picture of this car i heard that only 6 were made in 1966 and a man in prescot az has one the he got from a doctor that got it brand new

it is very strange it has cloth bucket seats rubber floor covering radio delete plate no a/c small hubcaps but it is a starfire is very fast car it has a muncie trans and rearend all factory

i have a 66starfire with the astro bench seat that i restored it is torch red with black interior i had the 425 motor rebuilt it has the correct heads and forged pistons and crank i had a mondello cam installed and a 850 rodchester 4 barrel carb and flow master exhust sys the is your daddy olds it very quick

• 4 months later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stick console is the same as A-body. Doesn't make them any easier to find or less expensive. </div></div>

Being shared with A-bodies makes them MUCH easier to find! While they are adaptable they are shaped to fit the floor differently.

65-66 S/F 4 Speed...BODY ASSY. (paint to match).... 1 386322

65-66 F85 S.T.......BODY ASSY. (paint to match).... 1 589085

Henry

• 7 years later...
  • 4 months later...

For the record here is some info on my 1964 Jetstar convertible project with original 4 speed. From the research I have done on some of the other boards there were only 51 convertible Jetstars built in 64 with the 4 speed.post-37187-143139289811_thumb.jpg

post-37187-143139289801_thumb.jpg

post-37187-143139289806_thumb.jpg

post-37187-143139289807_thumb.jpg

post-37187-143139289809_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I know this is an old thread. Just want to mention that I owned a 1966 Dynamic 88 with a factory 4sp and bench seats. No console.

In '87 I was Parts Manager at a Buick Pontiac GMC dealership in Belen New Mexico. We serviced a 66 "88" 4 door 4 speed bench seat car in our shop. Tan or beige color, pretty much a a base car without much in options. It had a receiver hitch on it with a trailer brake. Story behind it, the car was used to haul the owner's travel trailer.