Ply separation

Jim

This is actually a follow up to the post titled "Re: Car pulls to the right at low speeds"

From my experience and what I have been told about radial tires and modern front suspensions when a car pulls to one side it is usually the tires and as Padgett said you can swap the fronts and see if the car then pulls to the opposite side. A problem then might be possible ply separation.

I recently went on two trips with my '91 and put on 6500 miles. Before I left Duluth, three weeks ago, my car was pulling to one side so I reversed the fronts and indeed the car then pulled to the other side. After about 100 miles around home I started out for Spokane WA but when I got as far as Fargo I thought I better put the fronts on the back, which I did at a friends shop in Fargo, because I could feel the car wobbling at slow speeds so I knew I was getting ply separation. I drove to Spokane and then to Sand Point ID and on my way to Colorado Springs I stopped in Butte MT and checked my rear tire.

Look at the attached picture.

I've seen it before but not for quite a while. You may not feel much when driving because the bubble is compressed when the tread is on the ground.

Had two Firestone 500s (was this a Firestone or Brigestone ?) separate almost identically to yours 200 miles into a 500 mile trip and had one rear on my station wagon show steel when I checked it after a 500 mile trip (on the outbound side natch).

Have seen them chunk and lose pieces of the tread before and all the driver felt was a vibration.

It happens.

Guest Motu 56

Thanks guys!I took the tire off and it looked like the picture that Jim posted. I was lucky that it didn't blow while doing 70 on I-35. I appreciate being part of this web site.