Feedback on Roadmaster Estate Wagon

baking

Starting to look for a 90's Roadmaster wagon for a daily driver. Are there any years I should avoid? Most of the ones around here are over 100K miles, is that a big problem with these cars? Any expensive repairs that is a common problem?<BR>Thanks,<BR>Brian<BR> smile.gif" border="0

What are you looking for? What is your most important asset in a car? Even the 95-96 Wagons are are now reasonably priced. They all have the LT1 powertrains, with the 96 cars having the same OBDII computer management used in today's cars. The 94's also have the LT1, but many refinements were made for the last two years of production.If appearance is important to you, look for the rare Woodgrain Delete Roadmasters. Regardless of your opinion on how the Woodgrain trim looks new, it ages poorly. Since even the last produced Wagons are now over six years old, the plastic based trim on just about all of the Woodgrain Wagons actually used as transportation has at least several rough spots.

Oops! Guess I wasn't very specific wink.gif" border="0 .<BR>I don't want a banged up rust bucket, but it doesn't need to look showroom new, but presentable. I can handle a little flaking on the woodgrain. Sure, I'd prefer one without woodgrain, but it's not that big of deal. What's most important is it must ride and drive nice, have working air, heat, etc. This car will be my mule for work, vacations, around town trips etc. My work car gets driven about 23,000 miles a year. Looking to spend between $4-$5K since that's what my current car is worth and all my other car funds are tied up in my 70 Skylark.<BR>That probably limits my choices somewhat.

Worst thing about the LT1 Chevy motors is the distributor and plug wire set (harness as they call it). There is a seal that lets oil into the distributor assembly (behind the water pump) and causes problems. It's somewhat expensive to replace (parts price wise) and the plug wires only come in a complete harness (also a little pricey). These don't cause that many problems and are not that hard to replace, but the parts are expensive. Other than that, a real incognito hot rod! All of the Impala SS rear disc brake stuff should bolt right under there too, as should the sway bars and such. Could make a neat car to have luxury and performance and such with.<P>Enjoy!<BR>NTX5467

Guest Shaffer

According to owners of these cars on the wagon group, I think they are reliable cars through all years of 1991-1996. I have seen several 91-96 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagons on E-Bay, and several in MINT condition. It will not be easy finding the Buick version wagon without woodgrain, as it was standard, but a few cars had the woodgrain and/or 3rd seat delete. You will find more of the 1991-96 Caprice / Caprice Estate wagons without woodgrain, as well as some of the 1991-1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser had the non-woodgrain models. I think the woodgrain held up better on the later GM wagons. My 1989 Pontiac Grand Safari wagon, has the original woodgrain, and the car is now 12 years old and overall, the woodgrain is still in good shape, aside from a small area on the front fenderwell area. Another note, the later wagon will have a larger engine I think. I am not too familiar with these particular year of these wagons. If you have not bee to <A HREF="http://www.stationwagon.com" TARGET=_blank>www.stationwagon.com</A> , I would visit there, as there is a active discussion group there, as well as many owners of 1991-1996 Chevrolet Caprice Estate, Buick Roadmaster Estate and 91-92 Oldsmobile Custom Cruisers there. Good luck.

Sedan rear discs and bars do not fit any of the Wagons. The Wagon rear axle is a unique design to allow a four foot wide panel to fit between the wheel wells.<BR> There were less than 500 96 Caprice Wagons made.

Visited Tony's Station Wagon link and was disappointed to find that Taurus/Sable are the only American wagons currently sold new in the States. As usual, the Americans have abandoned something only to let the Japanese and Europeans have the market to themselves. Unless you count the lucrative SUV binness as wagons, and I don't, except for big 'Burbans. They're kinda like my Mama described the old man's beloved ElCaminos- "Frank can't make up his mind whether he wants a car or a truck". She never liked them and wouldn't drive them, though she's perfectly content to travel in my 83 Olds Custom Cruiser.<P>Wagons ho! wagons forever! cool.gif" border="0

I have tried to get a rear anti-sway bar for my '94 Caprice wagon, but it's true that the sedan bar will not fit the car. I have a sneaking suspicion that a bar for a Cadillac limo will fit, but I have not investigated further. <P>My previous wagon was a '86 Custom Cruiser with the 5.0 engine, moving to a '94 Chev with the LT1 was a change of epic proportions!

If the axles are indeed unique to the wagons, I'll suspect it's outboard of the suspension attachment points, but I could be wrong. I do know that the rear disc brakes are bolt on items (to the end of the axle housing instead of requiring a specific axle housing as in prior times. I'll do a check when I get back to work and verify. I highly suspect there is a rear bar available for the wagons but will double check. There were factory sway bars under the previous generation wagons so I suspected there were some for the last ones also, all things considered. But I'll check to verify.<P>Enjoy!

The axle flange for drums and discs is different. Axle lengths for the sedans and Wagons are different. GM never made a Wagon length axle with a disc brake flange for the last gen Wagons.<P> There were several companies that made aftermarket rear bars for the last Wagons. There is no factory bar that fits, though.

I found a 92 and a 94 on a lot. The 94 has 100k and he wants $7500. The 92 has 140K and he wants $3,880. These seem to be typical prices around here. Both look to be in great shape, the 92 is missing a piece of molding, and the woodgrain is messed up in a couple places on both of them. He was closed when I stopped to look. The 92 *looks* like what I want. (at least it's in the price range) I'll probably go look at it and see how it runs and drives. I'm a little nervous about a 140,000 mile car........Thanks for all the replies!!<BR> grin.gif" border="0 <BR>Brian

Just a note to verify some of my suspicions were incorrect. The wagons on that body series do have a rear track that is 2" wider than the sedans, but uses the same control arms. I finally found those specs in the ImpalaSS Owners club site.<P>The wagons (as did the previous body series) have larger rear wheel bearings than the sedans also.<P>Most of our customers down here that were interested in hauling people, things, and/or trailers moved into Tahoes and Suburbans as the truck chassis handled those things much better. If it was just people space, the minivans were the choice. About the only wagon buyers were the same people who are now buying crossover vehicles or would have felt more comfortable in a wagon 20 years ago.<P>My appologies for those indiscretions . . . again.<P>NTX5467