Centurion: '58 Wells Fargo

WQ59B

in the "Where is Milton Berle's 1953 Skylark?" topic, you asked about the '58 WF car and mentioned it was in Hemmings. I found the HMN ad (from 1996) in my Buick 'clip-file'. It stated the car "has been restored to a pristine condition" and the asking price was $65,000 obo. The ad also mentions the "special hubcaps, hood ornament, fully hand tooled leather cowhide interior, cowhide rugs, bucket seats, center console with Winchester 76 model rifles and holsters in the door panels with Colt 45 6-guns". <P>It seems indeed that this wild car survived. I can't help but wonder if it's legal to drive on public roads, laden down with all that firepower! shocked.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0

Thanks for updating us with this information!<P>Given the unique features of this automobile, the 1996 asking price of $65,000 obo seems quite reasonable -- assuming that it was indeed restored to original condition.<P>Early this year, there was a thread here concerning a beautiful '58 Limited 2-door hardtop that was offered for sale on Ebay. That hardtop -- impressive as it was -- sold for $50,000. It is not unreasonable to think that any '58 Limited convertible in excellent condition could command a similar or higher price. The "one-off" Wells Fargo should fetch a premium over the regular Limited.<P>Wish I had had a spare $65,000 back in 1996!

Speaking of '58 Buick Limited convertibles, a very nice -- although not perfect -- example currently appears on Ebay as Item#1819685614. It will be interesting to watch where the bidding goes on this car.<P>Those who are unfamiliar with the '58 Limiteds may wish to check out the Ebay photos of this convertible.

The Wells Fargo '58 Buick sold at the auction at the Auburn Cord Dusenberg festival (Auburn, IN) on Labor Day, 1996, for $61,000 (I was there). Built on a Roadmaster convertible, the "Wells Fargo" Buick was driven by Dale Robertson, star of the popular TV show of the same name, on a promotional tour. According to information at the time of the sale, Buick spent $85,000 to modify the car with four bucket seats with 1/8" cowhide, with hand tooled leather designs on the seats and door handles; special cowhide fur carpets throughout; the center console held two Winchester 94 rifles; each door had a holster for a Colt .45; the hubcaps were on-offs, produced especially for this car; Wells Fargo script in wood on ech of the rear quarter panels.<BR>The car has lasted much longer than the series - it aired from March 1957 to September, 1962.<BR>Alan Oldfield<BR>BCA #15140