Don't be pissed...

BqUICK

The 1969 & 70 Buick Electra 225 is perhaps the most underated of all of the great road cars. Its style and grace often made it difficult for people to see it as a performance car. Often, this worked to its advantage as a lethal sleeper. Stock Electras were capable of low 15s with factory performance optioned cars capable of 14s. Full frame 4,700 lb racers were documented at 11.7 while lighter race jobs were touted to run in the 10s.

Electra race cars on the street were known by their color and the "handle" of the driver. You might be a member of this elite cadre of Electra racers if:

1. There is atleast one bent 2 Ton jack stand laying around your garage. tongue.giftongue.gif

2. Your car was too wide for your buddy's car hauler. blush.gif

3. You have ever heard "You want to race a what!?!?!" more than once from parts store people. crazy.gif (...just before their eyes glaze over!)

4. You have ever heard "You want to build a what!?!?!" more than once from hot rod builders. crazy.gif (...just before their eyes glaze over!)

5. You have ever scrapped a 1970 GS for its SF Code 455 and left everything else. cool.gif

6. It ever pissed you off to hear that GS people cut an engine out of an Electra. mad.gif (And did not know to check for "PX" 3.91 Code!)

7. You ever wore a tuxedo in the same car you outrun Firebirds with. cool.gif

8. It never occurred to you that the car you just beat had a 1000 lb advantage. wink.gif

9. Some race fan is angry with you saying "I cant believe you beat on THAT beautiful car like that." smirk.gif

10. A guy ever screamed "Oh BABY!!!" when you smoked em through the burnout box. smirk.gif

11. If you ever pissed off GS people and heard: "Your not going to cut the scoops out of that GS hood...are you?!?!" (well... you know the answer to that one dont you! wink.gif

12. You have ever heard. "My point is still that a chopped customized 1969-70 Electra will bring less than a faithfully restored GS or GSX." frown.gif

13. If you have ever heard "Tell the truth now... were these "on the bottle?"" laugh.gif

14. If you ever tossed him the bottle and beat him again!

15. If you love it when the 1968 4 speed 400 GTO Judge owner cannot believe he just lost to an Electra 225.

16. If you loved it when the 440 'Cuda owner refused to race you because of your Electra's rep.

17. If the police cite your "rodder" friends but compliment your Electra and tell you have a good day with no ticket. (And YOU WERE going racing!)

BUICK POWER!!!

They're OK cars, but please don't buy one if you have to butcher a GS in order to get it running.

That is the opposite of what car collecting is all about. In addition, the highest value in collectable cars are those restored to factory original condition; not those adulterated with parts from here or there, or something the owner calls "customized."

A chopped and pieced together Electra will NEVER be worth anything near the value of a factory stock GS 455 or corretly resotred GSX.

Joe

It seems to work by clicking directly on the page you want to enlarge. The burnout image is the one I was remembering when I asked about those "serious" Electra drag racing pics. I hope he didn't run over those two fella's toes!

Thanks for re-posting this, Michael, and to Smartin for that great live-action Buick vs Buick shot. How 'bout that Riv? Did you beat 'im?

To me, these cars look right at home at the track. There's something about all that metal going that fast. What used to amaze me was how LIGHT the cars felt because of all the torque. I recall the first time I drove the '65 Electra, and that feeling of effortless acceleration. I was hooked. Passed my license exam in that car... although the long back overhang actually scraped over a high curb when I parallel parked. The car was lined up right, but I guess the examiner marked off points for scary noises. wink.gif

Reatta Man: You said:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> A chopped and pieced together Electra will NEVER be worth anything near the value of a factory stock GS 455 or corretly resotred GSX.

</div></div>

LOT 198

ESTIMATE:

$ 90,000 -- $ 110,000

http://www.rmauctions.com/events/catalogcar.cfm?scode=AM04&tmpNumber=198

"1959 Buick Electra 225 Convertible

325hp 401 cu. in. vee eight-cylinder engine, two-speed Dynaflow automatic transmission, independent front suspension with coil springs, live axle rear suspension with coil springs, four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 217.4?

Buick regularly rebels against its ordained position in Alfred P. Sloan?s marque hierarchy. Sometimes it pushes downward into Pontiac territory, but Buick has never, ever, lost its fascination with pushing into Cadillac?s turf. Regularly it has introduced models like the Limited that shamelessly surpass Cadillac in size, power and luxury, only to get its fingers slapped by the GM brass for stepping too far over the line. Buick?s aspirations were nowhere better expressed than in 1959 with the Electra 225. Not only was it fourteenths of an inch longer that that year?s Cadillac, its 401 cubic inch Wildcat engine was bigger than Cadillac?s, too. The 1959 Buicks also were completely restyled, with one of the most effective treatments of the finned era which was nearing the end of its time at GM. The Electra 225?s great length and sloping beltline accented by a thin strip of chrome wore Buick?s canted fins particularly well. Carried over from earlier years, however, was Buick?s distinctive grille of rectangular rods which blended earlier Buicks? identity with the new styling?s sweeping lines. Production in 1959 was cut short by a steel strike, but not before the Electra 225 convertible paced the Indianapolis 500 mile race. Buick sold 32,645 convertibles in 1959, 11% of the year?s production. Of these, only 5,493 were the top of the line Electra 225. Every Electra 225 convertible was luxuriously equipped, including leather interior, power windows, power top Safety group, Super Deluxe wheel covers and outside rear view mirror to compensate for the convertible?s restricted rear quarter vision. Standard equipment on all premium Buicks also included a padded dashboard, power steering, power brakes, 2- speed wipers and dual exhausts to help the big 401 cubic inch ?Nail-Head? V8 breathe deeply. These beautiful, extravagant, luxurious automobiles have a presence that attracts attention wherever they appear, exactly as Buick intended when it created this opulent signature series. None of them better display the 1959 Electra 225?s presence than the example offered here. Fresh from a complete, nut-and-bolt, body-off restoration, it is brilliantly presented in Sable Black with Red leather interior and a Black vinyl top, it is a wonderful statement of the power, prestige and confidence of Detroit and America in the late fifties. It has never been shown and is ready to impress both judges and spectators at any show or gathering. It is lavishly equipped with a full complement of comfort and convenience options and accessories including air conditioning, which make it friendly to use and drive, or simply easy to maneuver into a place of honor on the show field. Extremely rare and special when new, 1959 Buick Electra 225 convertibles are even more unusual today and this must be the finest and most impressive example of Buick?s successful encroachment upon Cadillac?s turf in existence today."

Modified or not, Buick Electras are among the fastest appreciating American luxury muscle cars. When was the last time you saw a GS go for 90 grand?

PS: SOLD for $92,400.00

The Electra GSX "Faithful Pursuit" cost is hard to determine. The Machuga/Putman built, one off, steel Electra GSX Ram-Air hood required more than 80 hours of expert welding, hammering, shrinking, and reinforcing before paint! The 32 gal. fuel cell rear cockpit firewall has well over 500 spot welds. The body-off chassis resto, NOS Pee Gee Performance Built 455 STAGE 1, GT Performance narrowed FORD 9", Gear Vendors Overdrive, custom stainless steel underbody Ram-Air trans/engine oil cooler induction, etc., etc. cost a bunch! The appraised value should be determined in 2005 after race day.

I stand by my original comment with one revision:

A chopped 1969-1970 Electra will never be worth what a restored REAL GSX is worth.

And, I think "most" Buick enthusiasts would agree that a 1959 Electra is in another world compared to the 1969-1970 models. You can also spend a ton of money, and get some of it back, but it definitely is not the best way to try to make money.

Keep in mind, we started out talking about a chopped up 1969-1970 Electra, then you showed the auction results of a very unusual 1959 example.

Oh, one OTHER thing....

I was talking about a chopped Electra, in the 1969-70 vintage. The narrative you used was not only for a 1959 model, it apparently was not CHOPPED UP but rather was a meticulously restored and cared for example.

My point is still that a chopped customized 1969-70 Electra will bring less than a faithfully restored GS or GSX.

Let's leave twisting and spinning facts and previous statements to the politicians, shall we?

great car!!

hope i can get my 84 le sabre's body looking that nice!!

i say each owner can choose what they want to do to build the car they want.

i used the 430 engine out of my old 68 electra,and put it in my le sabre, and built the engine with lots of power(nitrous is for weenies!!)

i don't care what others think. i am proud of what i did!

"is better to be pissed off, than pissed on"

[color:\\"blue\\"] Yawn . . . is this turning into the BCA "keep it original at all costs", versus the GSCA or BPG "yeah but it could be faster and chrome is always a good thing" argument? Extremism either way will be argued forever with each side maintaining his way is the best.

Value is in the eyes of the beholder and if one wants to modify his ride so be it. Particularly if it is as cool as BqUICK's Faithful Pursuit. Want an indication of how most of us feel, just look at the number of views and posts about this car. It has been fun watching the progress, and learning a little history to boot.

Frame off restorations even ones faithful to the mistake of the manufacturer will not sell for the cost of the investment, so comparing the relative value of this Electra that definitely pleases a lot of folks to a stock or even modified Gran Sport is not worth the effort. It either pleases you or it does not.

Want an idea of how many fans of Buick B bodies?, Rivera?s or similar cars there are? Follow the activity in the V8Buick board under ?Boat Load of Fun?. Most questions raised are about modifying these cars.

Just enjoy the ride

Guest Buickman67

Hey BqUICK,

Just thought I would let you know that I had a '69 Electra 225 Custom 4DHT that I ran at the drag strip last year.

It had 85k miles, pretty much all original, tiny bit of Chicago rust, all stock with the 2.78 open rear, 235 75R15 tires, but I put 2 1/4" duals with glasspacks on her.

She ran a 15.296 sec @ 91.46 mph.

Wish I could have gotten some traction, as I needed to baby her off the line with the open rear.

Here are the results:

0.557 RT

2.284 60'

6.504 330'

9.283 ET @ 594'

9.907 1/8 mile ET

72.10 1/8 mile mph

12.831 1000'

15.296 1/4 mile ET

91.46 1/4 mile mph

Temp was about 65 F.

I am taking my 32,000 mile original '71 Electra 225 Custom 2DHT to the drag strip this Saturday with our car club as we have rented out the track, US 41 Dragway in Morocco, Indiana.

David

• 1 month later...

Buickman67,

I race a stock 1969 Buick Electra Custom Convertible With "GS" Scripts

48400 67 C

1969 Buick Electra Custom 225 Convertible "C" Body

4,700 lb

2.5" Dual Exhaust Dynomax Mufflers

235 70R 15s

Buick Rallye Wheels

2.73 Positive Traction

45TS Plugs

Her best has been 15.35 @ 89 mph cool.gif

In your last note you wrote:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 15.296 sec @ 91.46 mph cool.gif </div></div> Your 4DR HT, either a code "69" Nothback Pillar (4 Window)Sedan has outstanding performance.

How did your '71 Electra do at the track? Did the lower compression affect performance much? smile.gif

Thanks for posting photos of My Electra 225 "GS"

This is the car that I drag race from time to time. It sure is fun to beat Mustangs and Firebirds in style! I try to avoid the water at the burnout box and just do a little burnout to "clean" the tires. I roll up and typically line up on the lights fairly easily. With a mild launch she hooks pretty well and my R/T is between .55 and .65, .49 being a red light.

I usually get comments like "Oh baby!!!" at the line or some people are "Pissed" and say "I cant believe you beat on THAT car like that!"

The big Buick Electra was built to do this kind of thing all day long. Back when the speedlimits could be 65 - 90, she could get onto an highway on-ramp from a standing start and get to 90 mph in under 16 seconds with 4 people and luggage!

Stock 1969 Buick Electra Custom Convertible With "GS" Scripts

48400 67 C

1969 Buick Electra Custom 225 Convertible "C" Body

4,700 lb

2.5" Dual Exhaust Dynomax Mufflers

235 70R 15s

Buick Rallye Wheels

2.73 Positive Traction

45TS Plugs

Her best has been 15.35 @ 89 mph

This Electra is a "Knockout!"

Yes! Thats the body style that is perfect! It has really nice lines, naturally I'm partial to the Electra but the LeSabre was very similar. Can you imagine not only blowing the competition away in the straights but killing them pulling G's too! That would be too much!!! Boy would they be pissed!!! cool.gif

I really like the idea of a very clean stocker with a killer 430! As you know the 430 is grossly underrated and almost always gets junked! People do not realize that it has largely the same performance capability of the 427 ZL1 from the weight to torque point of view. Add aluminum heads and manifold and you are lighter than the all aluminum ZL-1 by several pounds. smirk.gif (Anyone know how much?)

What is the combo you are going for?

Good luck,

well,would like to keep the stock body lines,but would like it to handle

a bit better,want to add traction bars,rear sway bar,etc.

has stock shocks,with coil over"load carriers" in the rear.

i don't want to lower it,as the mufflers are close to the ground now! shocked.gif

has 21 gal fuel cell in trunk also cool.gif

and maybe a cool personalized license plate,any ideas? i can have up to 7 letters in kansas on a tag wink.gif

• 2 weeks later...

There are many neat plates that I have seen over the years and I am sure that you have as well. Thinking about the LeSabre...

1. GHOST (Recalling Harley Earl's most fabulous '51 LeSabre) ooo.gif

2. IEATZ28S (Used by an old friend 20 years ago) smile.gif

3. IEATRCRZ (Drag Ricers might get Pissed, if they get it) cool.gif

4. QUICKLE (The only original idea in the bunch) grin.gif

5. LESIZMOR (Not the run of the mill.) wink.gif

6. SEMIWEDG (Run of the 430 "mill" & its partial wedge design.) laugh.gif

7. THX1138 (This is cool because you have to be over 40 to know what it means.)

cool.gif

You have to think about what you like about your car. Is it the mechanics of the driveline, the clean lines of the body, or the stealth aspects. Also, why blow your cover? Make something up original and YOU will give it meaning when you earn a rep on the street among your friends, the show circuit, or at the track when you [censored] off the unsuspecting. cool.gif

May God Speed you in a Buick,

yeah, may just use the plain old kansas plate i got on it now

and just let them scratch their heads cool.gif when all they see are tail lights.

was on the road with it today,when a toyota came up behind me. he was preparing to pass, i pressed on the gas,went from 50 to 80 in 5 secs! ooo.gif

i finally let him pass,i had a big grin on my face!! cool.gif

thanks for the ideas!! even thought of this one: BUZILLA