BCA Driven Award Info

BUICK RACER

Is it just me, or did the decision mean to eliminate even a small ferry boat. For example, someone taking a ferry from from one of the islands near Seattle and then driving from Seattle to Batavia would be excluded. How about a revision with an explaination to use a ferry if necessary or even to save time. And after all, we want to drive them, not needlessly wear them out.

Maybe it is just late and I misread the boat use exclusion.

Pat, and others,

My previous posting, and yours did not generate any response, so maybe I am making a mountain out of a molehill. I thought I recalled someone driving to Flint last year, coming from one of the islands near Seattle. As far as I know, there are no roads or bridges to some, but I am not certain. Maybe we should check with a chapter out there or wait till it comes up. The other choice might be to just stipulate "except for ferry boat travel when no driving option exists". This would cover in the event an issue comes up.

We have another situation here on the east coast, as people can take a ferry boat from Long Island to CT, or reverse. This saves some driving around the usual traffic around NYC, some poor roads, construction and the general risk of NYC (Queens, Bronx)traffic. But you may get some salt spray on the car in some conditions. I would not like to see a driver penalized, should the issue arise with a National in either place, to have a driver not qualified, if he elected to avoid crowded weekend traffic around NYC. Of course, the driver could take the road one way and the ferry back and still qualify?

There may be similar situations elsewhere.

John

Guest my3buicks

It means you can't trailer your car to the hotel or surrounding area, back it off and drive it over to the show and say it was driven to the meet. Let's not make a mountain out of a molehill.

I suspect we might know what the "intent" of the "driven to the meet" orientation of the Driven Class is, but the issues of "ferry use" might need to be considered. IF, the ferry is considered a "section of moveable roadway" and not a "boat", then everything could work "as stated", yet the driven distance would be what was on the vehicle's odometer and nothing other than that.

If the ferry is considered to be a "type of boat", then that would be something totally different. Of course, if the vehicle was shipped to a Port of Entry and then driven to the meet from there, that would be open for discussion too. Yet, I believe we are most probably in agreement that the intent of the class was, as Keith mentioned, for the vehicle to be driven to the meet and not trailered a substantial distance to the meet's locale, then unloaded at the city limits, and then driven to the meet location on surface roads/streets, for example.

Proposal: If, in the route from the Driven Class entrant's residence to the BCA National Meet, it is possible and somewhat advantageous to use a route that might include the use of a "ferry" as part of that route, whether it be for convenience, necessity, or a less stressful trip, that section of the journey would be considered to be part of the "driven distance" to the meet, with "driven distance" being defined as the indicated mileage on the vehicle's odometer.

I perceive the main issue is the intent that the vehicle in the Driven Class be driven to the meet from the participant's residence and not the total distance driven per se. Many of these "distance" issues would be more important if there was or will be a "Longest Distance Driven" award in the Driven Class. I also suspect we would appreciate the efforts a member went to if they had their vehicle shipped to a Port of Entry and then driven from that point to the BCA National Meet (as happened in Flint with the entrants from Germany) and entered the Driven Class. Key thing would be that the nautical miles, whether on a ferry or a regular boat, would not be counted as the "total distance driven" whereas the actual land miles (from the residence to the shipping port and then from the USA Port of Entry to the BCA National Meet) would be important.

If there were any disputes as to mileage driven, then one of the computerized Internet mapping websites could be used to verify the route traveled and the mileage involved.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

John,

I was teasing the BCA, not you. Nobody asked me if I took a boat when I got my award this past National, they just asked if I drove. I would think that the trailer comments above are what they are most trying to discourage, although if someone trailered the car to a nearby town they probably couldn't "catch" the person anyway. I'm not sure why anybody would try to cheat on a driven award anyway. I could see someone trying to cheat on a distance award, cuz that's "neat" but a driver (the person) is somebody who wants to drive their car and see the sights through (in my case) a wraparound windshield.

I agree with NTX5467 (see, I remembered, Willis) above about the "moveable roadway".

Mike