1950 Antenna

Guest James Conkwright

Guest James Conkwright

Today we are taking our Buick to the body shop to complete its restoration. My car originally did not have a radio (50 special). But later at the dealer one was installed along with an antenna on the fender. I am looking to buy the correct antenna for the roof but need to know the exact spot it goes and if a hole has to be drilled through the roof. Please help me out. Thanks<P>James Conkright<BR>1950 Buick 46-S<BR>1958 Cadillac Series 62 Conv<BR>1971 Chevrolet Monte Carlo<BR>2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Z71

Guest Teamsterdug

I had a '53 Special until recently that had the original roof mounted antenna. I have looked in my 75 years of Buick book and see that in '50 they did have the same setup. Some of the old timers tell me that they used to keep the antenna turned downward in line with the strip that seperates the 2 windshields to look "cool".<BR> Once the headliner is removed you should see the hole in the overhead framing to accept the assembly. It consists of the actual antenna mast and outer cast metal mounting bracket and I believe a rubber mount then there is a large black round knob that connects to it from the inside that allows you to turn it in any direction..up, down, left or right. If I remember correctly the actual antenna coax goes from your radio up the passenger side corner post and across to the antenna. Can't give you any leads on where to buy the assembly but I'm confident that they wouldn't be too hard to find. Good luck. grin.gif" border="0

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

James,<P>I do have an extra antenna, either from a 1950 or 1951.<P>From what I remember, the hole is in the center, left to right, slightly above the windshiled. <P>The antenna has a knob that goes into the interior, such that you can adjust it left or right, or simply turn it down, either when you are not using it, or maybe originaly, when you went through a car wash.<P>Yikes, an hard to imagine an old car going through an automatic car wash!<P>Scott Mich<BR>Assistant Director<BR>Chicagoland Chapter<BR>1955-76C Roadmaster Convertible<BR>1959 Olds SS-88 Holiday Sport Sedan<BR>1978 Pontiac Bonneville Brougham

I also have a '53 Special and have replaced the antenna recently. The '52 Shop Manual has a section (Section 11-9 part B) that has info on cutting the hole for the antenna. (Boy you have more guts then me on cutting a 1 1/8" hole in your roof.) Anyway it lists cutting the headliner, guide hole, etc. There is also diagrams of the components of the antenna, and specs showing it's down position relative to the window. I don't have copying capability, but I could probably get this copied if necessary. Let me know.

Guest oldtimer

bill, if you don't mind me asking how much should i expect to pay for re-chroming (front,rear,grille and interior pieces). i'm not looking to start another chrome shop/friend discussion, its just for MY personal info. i have a 2 dr. '50 super jetback (56s) and your the first one i've talked to that has had the plating done at once (or close to it).

Dont forget I have a wagon so there is extra chrome on the tailgate and 2 more doors than yours.<BR>Everything on mine, bumpers, grill, door handles, radio grill, mirrors, spotlight, window handles, and so on and so on is going to cost be between 8 and 10 thousand dollars.<BR>There is a lot of chrome and pot metal on this car.<BR>I am still waiting on one box to get to the platers so I dont know how much it will be yet.<BR>I didn't choose the cheapest plater but one that will keep the detail on all the metal. You pay more for that type of work but it looks better in the end. I figured this will be the one shot at this and I want no regrets when I am done.<p>[ 03-29-2002: Message edited by: Bill Stoneberg ]

Guest oldtimer

Thank you bill, i was thinking around 4-5 for the outside (minus the side/roof trim, mine is in good shape just needs a light buff and i'll do that). i wasn't sure about the inside chrome and i could'nt agree with you more about the plater. also i been lucky and scored some stuff off ebay and swap meets that have been re-chromed (good quailty and detail, but they're mostly small parts).

If you still need the help on the location of the antena on your 50 Buick, I can measure my 50 Roadmaster and I can also copy the instalation information in the 50 shop manuel and scan it to your e-mail. I changed the antena lead on my 50. It does go up the passenger side windshield frame. I got my antena lead from Wayne Reidel, RIDDLE017@aol.com . That's a zero 17. I do not know if he had any more.