88-89 Radio module for $99.95

padgett

M&R (michigan) is having a sale on the radio module (goes in console). Usually their prices are rather high but a new unit for $99.95 (total quoted to me with shipping was $109.95) seems reasonable since jlast year it was $145 to have one rebuilt. Reattas (88-89) all use the non-Bose and with Equalizer.

Erick said they had about 50 so should be available for a while.

Caveat: never ordered anything from them before but thought I'd give this a try. More when it arrives.

• 2 weeks later...

Radio came in on Friday and I got around to trying today - seems to work just fine with all controls operational. Form, fit, and function all appear correct.

That said this radio has a different part number (sorry, forgot to rite down before installed), the case material is a flat grey instead of shiney, there are no engraved connection markings, and it was made in Singapore (though the labels and part number are all Delco).

However seems well worth a buck for a soon-to-be-extinct module.

I wasn't going to comment until I read the last statement " soon to be extinct module".

A little known fact is many of the radios GM used in the late '80s to early '90s were all the same. The radio in my '88 Chev pickup went bad so I put one in from one of my Reatta parts cars, exact replacement. The radio module in the '90-91 Reattas is the exact same as the '88-89s. In the later Reattas and many other GM cars the "radio" consists of several sections, the face assembly, the radio module, a tape module etc. Three screws hold the radio module to the face assembly in a standard unit and that module then can be installed into the console of the earlier Reattas. Externally ALL of the period radio modules look the same so if you do get one out of a GM standard arrangement you do have to make sure it came from a unit with an equallizer. If you don't get one from an assembly with an equalizer you will have "trebble" and "base" switches instead showing up on your CRT.

Thank you Jim for the update and explains the different part number. Guess I should have made the comment about the specific Reatta p/n. Might not have been so quick to buy if had known there were so many.

I suspect that something in the code on the sticker (89ADSHK) identified the configuration (EQ/non-EQ) but lost track around 1975.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wasn't going to comment until I read the last statement " soon to be extinct module".

A little known fact is many of the radios GM used in the late '80s to early '90s were all the same. The radio in my '88 Chev pickup went bad so I put one in from one of my Reatta parts cars, exact replacement. The radio module in the '90-91 Reattas is the exact same as the '88-89s. In the later Reattas and many other GM cars the "radio" consists of several sections, the face assembly, the radio module, a tape module etc. Three screws hold the radio module to the face assembly in a standard unit and that module then can be installed into the console of the earlier Reattas. Externally ALL of the period radio modules look the same so if you do get one out of a GM standard arrangement you do have to make sure it came from a unit with an equallizer. If you don't get one from an assembly with an equalizer you will have "trebble" and "base" switches instead showing up on your CRT. </div></div>

Looks like I learned something new (and very interesting) today. Following Jim's logic, it seems eminently possible that we could easily get CD players and MP3 players into our touch screen cars that will actually work thru the touch screen.

Hear me out... My '93 Trans Sport has steering wheel controls. If there is compatibility between the hardware backing up the radios, it would follow that the stereo functions controlled by the touch screen are in the same "language" as the steering wheel controls. Now my Trans Sport has the GM CD player, so if I were to have a remotely mounted CD section from a delco unit hooked up, it seems that the head unit wouldn't much care if the tape play function was starting a tape deck or a cd would it? I have also found online an MP3 player interface cable that allows steering wheel control for it through the GM radio.

Not just that, but does anyone know if GM made a more powerful head unit that we could remove the faceplate and then get better (more) sound out of our Reattas?

Just kicking some ideas around that Jim's post sparked... Anyone else know more about this?

Some time ago I mentioned finding in a Delco manual a "CD adapter cable" and part number but nothing ever came of it.

Have seen several Delco players listed but never pursued it as didn't want to spend that kind of money on a flyer.

Of course since Linda wants a CD in the Bonne with steering wheel controls...

It would be interesting to know if Delco Radio ever issued a training manual or sonething to show the different combinations possible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Of course since Linda wants a CD in the Bonne with steering wheel controls...

</div></div>

Neither of my Trans Sports came with the CD player, I fitted an OEM CD unit after purchase. M&R had them at one point. The last one I got was off of www.car-part.com it's the cleanest, easiest way to add one, although the junk yard unit didn't make it too long before needing refurbishment; But hey, you pays your buck and you takes your chances. wink.gif

• 1 month later...
Guest C.F.Massie

Hey gang,

This may not be the right place to ask this question but since this thread dealt with radios I thought I would give it a shot.

I'm not an electronic whiz by any stretch of the imagination so bare with me. This weekend my 89 Reatta's radio started to make a high pitch whining sound that increased and decreased with the engine RPM. Back in the old days we would have said that it was caused by using non resistor plugs. But this just started and I haven't changed anything or worked on anything lately on the car. I tried the search but did not find anything about this situation, any ideas? It's a real irritating whine and it occurs on both FM and AM. confused.gif