cover of Vintage Motorsport

nearchoclatetown

Stood along side of it on Saturday at Lime Rock Park, great looking car. Didn't get to hear it run. I'm still on cloud nine from a 20 minute run in a 1915 two man Dusenberg Indy car along the back roads of Sharon Connecticut. Nothing can top that for my "Car Event of the Year"!

They had the 32/33 Indy twelve cylinder Miller up at Cranbrook concours in July. Yes, I stood directly behind it when they lit it off. Yes, it barked fantastic. Yes, they drove it on public roads (oops didn't see that, don't know nuthin').

Of course it was 16. Moron at the keyboard this AM.

Well, it also had 12.......

Talked with the mechanic for a while, nice fellow. Told how parts were pretty much scattered all over. They found one carbureter from which able to make ten (a few extra) and installed the starter which was the, as I recall, 1933 configuration. I was surprised that it settled down to a quite civilized 600 rpm idle speed. He ( mechanic) told me it had the original cam profiles in it. I'd have figured it would have had something more aggressive. Maybe Harry didn't need to go real high for horses.

I could never afford to restore that car, but was offered the rolling chassis over 30 years ago for $1,500.00. Chuck did a lot of back tracking and found all the original components that had been left behind from the chain of owners the car had. When you know how delapiated that car was it makes the restoration that more special.

I am told the reason it(#27 car)doesn't sound other 16's is that while it is 16 cylinders it is really two parallel 8's, they fire two cyl's at a time. It is a remarkable piece of workmanship. It shows and runs at the Harry Miller Meet in Milwaukee, WI every year, sounds great ripping down the grand stand straight on the mile track. Stude8

2 very good threads goimg here. Jim, that's a truly once in twenty lifetimes collction; one of which you are clearly and justifiably proud.

That Miller, as I recall in casually looking at the engine, was sort of four 4 bangers lashed together into a v16. In other words, I think there was a split in the cam cases (and cylinder heads) at halfway on each bank. If so, it makes sense, as Miller had such a well-engineered and developed engine in the four.

I think the mechanic said that all that remained of the engine was a four, running in a sprint car somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Please explain. 12 cylinders, 2 distributors, each having 12 spark plug wires,firing dual plugs per cylinder, I think I understand. But 4 coils ? are there dual points and condensors each firing 6 cylinders, like a Harmon Collins, in each distributor??? And stop teaseing, are we going to see this at Hershey?? I'd love to hear that thing echo in the stadium for certification.

"are there dual points and condensors each firing 6 cylinders, like a Harmon Collins, in each distributor???"

Yes.

Sorry but won't be making Hershey.

Best

This is an after thought response to BillP, the video program we produced of the 1998 & 1999 Harry A. Miller Club meet events at Milwuakee, WI included a few laps in the #27 Miller 16 cyl car. Cameraman had a job holding onto the $10,000 camera in the wind stream. It was a lot of fun and the video includes some great interviews with Chris Economaki, Duke Nalon and Emil Andre.

The Millers are all portrayed favorably but the 1949 NOVI was the hit of the show, you could hear it 2 miles from the track. It is available on VHS & DVD now. Stude8 Email for a flyer "johns@lowrey.com"