Wiper transmission spline nut

dbrody

Found my catalog: It's a couple years old, but should get you in the ball park.

The items you are looking for are called "Escutcheon spanner nuts" and are listed for '55-'58 Chevy.

Part Number 02-53, $5.50pr.

There is also a tool to put these on: Spanner Nut Tool; pn 49-02, listed for '55-'72. $13.50. If you can't make your own, I recommend getting this tool, as people typically ruin these nuts by either using a vise-grips on them, or trying to back the nut off with a screwdriver in one of the nut's notches. The tool keeps them from getting chewed up.

CCI's phone number is 800-456-1957

Hope this helps,

-Brad

These are the cover nuts -- I have those. The actual nut I'm looking for fits over the spline shaft. It has a spline inside and outside. The outside is what the wiper fits over. You don't normally see this nut until you remove the wiper arm.

I can envision what you're describing, but on my '54 (and Chevys), the wiper transmission shaft sticks through the cowl and this eschution (sp?) nut holds the whole transmission in place. The splined end that the wiper arm fits over is an integral part of the transmission, and doesn't come off to my knowlege. I'll go look at mine closer this weekend.

Typically, the whole transmission assembly is sold as a unit, either NOS or rebuilt with new cables. I have never seen the splined piece you are talking about by itself.

-Brad

I beginning to think this is the case and that some jerry rigged this one to fit another wiper. Everything you say is correct except after the transmission goes through the cowl there is a spline nut on the end (and of course the escheoun nut as well).

Your car is not jury-rigged. The part you are looking for could be described as a bushing that fits over the splined shaft to increase the diameter of the wiper arm mount. They often have a hole drilled in them for a pin to retain them.

the good news is that I have seen such a part in the past..the bad news...very hard to find. When one gets old and decrepit..it is hard to see the hole for the pin that retains the bushing and most people think that the wiper transmission does not have such a part on it. and many Buicks did not have this part...but lots did.

You might try calling Bob Jr at Bobs Automobilia. He MIGHT have such an animal.

bill