Steering Wheel Swap - 89 on a 90???

wbtegra

I'm not sure if the wheel swap can be made. I do want to point out that removing an airbag assembly that has not been fired, can be hazardous. Even with the battery disconnected, the system still has a reserve power backup. An air bag deployment is an explosion! To have your face and body so close to the steering wheel during removal could, well kill you. This is where the shop manual comes in very handy. Be sure to follow each step to the letter. If you don't have a shop manual, get one or have a quailifed service tech remove the air bag for you. Airbag removable is best left to the experts. While the chance of actual deployment during removal is very remote, a nicked wired or brief ground could case the bag to activate. Better safe than dead. With that all said, I would be interested in knowing if an older wheel would fit a newer car too.

It cannot be done by simply swapping the wheels. There are too many differences under the wheel to switch them. About the only way to switch them would be to change the whole column but then you would run into problems with the VATS system. ( the resistor on the key )

If you change the column you will have to figure out a way to add the Wiper Switch to the 88-89 Column.

A steering column from other none air bag (Toronado ,Riveria ) might work and put an 89 steering wheel on it.

Is it possible to add a column control wiper to an 88-89 without a lot of work. I always disliked the location of the wiper switch on the 88-89