National is never on the West Coast

John Frank

Would love to meet with you guys when you come to SMX. If you stay at the hotel on the airport I can be of some help there. I also have the large aircraft hangar and offices next to the hotel and can clear out as much as you might want to park cars overnight or whatever. Could also do a Santa Maria Sytle barbque. Or we could do a real nice dinner on the ocean up at Pismo Beach. If wives are coming and aren't interested in the air show, we can arrange winery tours, going to Solvang, La Purisma mission, etc. There is a Melodrama theater nearby in Oceano that makes for a fun evening. Of course if any one wants to take an airplane ride around the area I'd be happy to oblige.

My calendar shows the date of the Warbird Roundup as August 27-29 this year, which is unusual as noramlly it is in late September orearly October. However there are a number of aviation events on the west coast this year in October and that might have caused them to move it earlier. I'll double check the dates with the Museum tomorrow.

Let me know what I can do to make your visit as enjoyable as possible.

Might have to join the Orange Country chapter as I will be spending more time down there for the next few years. My oldest boy starts at UC Irvine in September. As you know the campus is right next to the Orange Co. Airport so I am sure we are going to be operating a bit of an air shuttle between here and there. If chapter activities aren't to far from there I might just arrange my schedule to take in some of them.

I know that many BCA members will not attend a national meet unless they drive to the meet in their Buicks. I also understand the orientation of not driving to a national meet due to uncertain weather issues, distances, etc., BUT not attending for those reasons has some issues too. For example, in situations where facilities rentals (including at host hotels) do not meet a minimum number of "room/nights sold", where the existing hotel taxes pay for the facilities rentals, if not enough room/nights are sold at the designated hotels (which are tracked via making the room reservations through a convention/visitors bureau), then the host chapter can have to make up that difference from their gross profits of the meet (which can have other implications if other things come to pass). Similar in concept to blocking a certain number of rooms at hotels and then them not being sold and the entity that rented them having to make good on their guarantees for those rooms.

Therefore, using the rationale of not attending a BCA National Meet as you don't want to drive your Buick to the meet has some side issues involved, with all due respect. We all like to see the larger number of vehicle entrants on the show field or other display areas, BUT if those rooms in the designated hotels are not rented (not just reserved and then cancelled due to "no show"), the financial implications for the host chapter can be significant (even to the point of putting things "into the red"). So, if you decline to attend a BCA National Event due to driving/distance issues, I would seriously suggest that you get there by some alternative means. Go and enjoy the event and all of the related tours, events, other Buicks you might not have seen before (and might not see again!), plus seeing old friends and making new ones. The networking activities with other BCA members can be much more fun and beneficial that you might ever suspect--not to mention finding some rare part/special tool/literature that you've been looking for for years.

Attending a BCA National Meet -- even without your Buick -- can still be a mutually beneficial deal for all involved. There are many more reasons to attend a BCA National Meet than just driving to it in your Buick.

Respectfully,

Willis Bell 20811

Director, North Texas Chapter, BCA

Willis, you are exactly right! I have driven a Buick to every national, and it has become a reunion.Every year you see friends that you see once a year,and you have a chance to experience new things in different areas of the country. The host chapter has tours to many things the average person never hears about, and many are fantastic! I can understand not wanting to drive long distances for some people, but I LOVE to drive my old Buick, and can't wait to "Conquer the WEST" again.

Guys

The LA Chapter is co-hosting the 1953-54 Skylark Club National Meet here in LA on August 18-22, 2004. In about one month. We are doing this event just like a BCA national meet and this event is open to all 1960 and older Buick's not just 53/54 Skylarks. I urge people who are in the western United States to attend this meet as it will be fantastic. It includes a car show, barbeque dinner, driving tours, museum tours, large saturday night banquet and lots of hospitality, not to mention excellent weather and great sites to see. For more info check the BCA website calendar of events or your Bugle's. Please register ASAP, so we can get a better number of attendees. We currently have people registered from all over the country.

See you in August!!!!!

Guest COMPACTBC

Hi John: The Orange Co. Chapter meetings are on the 4th Friday of the month and are at Tustin Buick, which is very close to John Wayne Airport (10 - 15 min). Exceptions this year are as follows: Our August meeting will be at a picnic in a park on 8/29 where we will be planning our October 10th car show in Tustin. Also the Nov meeting is on the 3rd Friday due to Thanksgiving and the December meeting is our annual xmas party at a restaurant. You are very welcome to drop in when ever it's convenient to you, just let me know.

Regarding a chapter trip to Santa Maria this year, I will have to get back to you later. But so far we do not have an outing planned for August. Last year we had a Santa Maria Barbecue at one of our chapter members home in Nipomo, and it was a lot of fun. laugh.gif

Guest COMPACTBC

Hi Joe: I was wondering, have you ever been to the Napa Valley or Sonoma Valley in July or August? It is far from COOL and is frequently over 100°. Also it has been my experience that lodging in the area is expensive because it is a tourist destination and the San Francisco region is the most expensive area in California. But you are correct it is a very beautiful place and there are a lot of great places to visit. Just not cheaper or cooler than coastal Southern California. tongue.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> this event is open to all 1960 and older Buick's </div></div>

Is there a reason for excluding Buicks newer than 1960? I personally can't make the event, but if I were close enough, I'd not be attending due to the year restriction. All my cars are too new. confused.gif