1956 carbs and other stuff

jmtrewet

Having finally decided to do something with my 1956 Special, I commissioned my local mechanic to remove and rebuild the carburator since i knew that that was the primary obstacle to engine operation since i last drove the beast (off the trailer and into a garage several hours after purchase ---- several years ago). He informed me that it was some kind of Carter carb but could not identify which one and the NAPA book only listed a Rochester for the '56 322 Nailhead. I have found in my internet ramblings since receipt of this news from the mechanic that both the Carter carb and the Rochester carb were supplied in '56 in the 2 barrel variety on the 322 AND I found the recently listed Rochester version on Ebay at about the cost of a kit for the heretofore unknown model of Carter of which I currently possess. Anyway, here's my question.......Does anybody know which Carter carb was stock on the '56 Special with the 322 engine? If so, can you provide me with the correct number so I can get the kit....or, is there a place I can send mine as a core and get a rebuilt replacement (mine has a lot of corrosion and i don't know that the draw tubes are save-able---- unless the come in the kit, I may be screwed on re0using them)? If not, will the Rochester variety as is currently on ebay be a direct replacement in terms of manifold (I'm guessing yes on this one) pattern and linkage (not real sure on the linkage queation)? Thank you in advance for your help. My direct email is jmtrewet@yahoo.com.

The Carter and Stromberg were the only 2 bbl carbs for the '56. The Rochester was a 4 bbl! The orginal GM part #1172341 For the Stromberg, don't have a number for the Carter. The repair kit, GM part# for the Stromberg is 1173056 amd 1173403 for the Carter. I think mine has a Stromberg and I don't think there is much difference. This web page might help.

My Master Chassis book lists the following:

===================================

1956 Series 40 Stromberg Carburetor

GM# 1172341, CarbID: 380412, GasketSet# 1172374, RepairKit# 1173056

1956 Series 40 (AT) Carter Carburetor

GM# 1172342, CarbID: 2400S, GasketKit# 1172724, RepairKit# 1182470

1956 Series 50-60-70 Carter Carburetor

GM# 1170623, CarbID: 2347S, GasketKit# ?, RepairKit# ?

1956 Series 50-60-70 Rochester Carburetor

GM# 7009900, CarbID: ?, GasketSet# 7009943, RepairKit# 7009923

Hope that helps some.

Budd

If I recall corectly, the Carter and Rochester carbs will fit on the manifold. However, watch the manifold gasket. The manifold has a narrow bolt pattern (compared to 57 and up) but the exhaust passage hole to the base of the carb swings wide, and general kits may not have the gasket that fits this mounting area. Also, the linkage is adjustable at the point it connects to the carb, which you will need to fiddle with if you change to the Rochester carb.

All-

I checked in my 56 shop manual and the 2 barrel was with Carter or Stromberg and the 4 barrel was either Carter or Rochester. The 2 barrel Carter was a WGD model but I don't have any number. I have a 56 engine out back with a Carter 2 barrel carb on it. If I get a chance I will check it.