adjusting p/s unit

Hey guys-n-gals,<P>A quick question with I hope an easy-todo response. I got out today and started 'er up and noticed the power steering belt is loose a bit and making that belt noise. How does one tighten that belt up?<P>Many Thanks,<P>Scott<BR>(I may be down, but not out)

Well- what year and car? Since GM liked to bury PS pumps under alternators, A/C compressors etc, Saginaw pumps from about the mid 60s aren't the easiest to tighten belts. They're actually pretty clumsy to do it UNLESS (!) you have the special Burroughs or K-M power steering belt adjusting tool. Even then it ain't always easy to get in there to make sure you're prying against the pump nose. Whatever you do, don't pry against the pump body. It's only sheetmetal and you can easily bend it to where the pump element gets damaged.<P>I have a long, square shank screwdriver that I can usually fit between the pump nose and the pry tab on the bracket. Loosen the pump pivot and tension bolts as needed, then pry out until you get the desired tension, about 1/2" deflection per foot of belt length, then tighten the bolts. Helps to have an extra pair of hands here.

Hi Scott<BR>Glad you are back in the car. The way I tighten is to of course loosen the appropriate bolts so it is free...pull back on the pump body firmly with your hand, put a box end wrench or socket on the pully nut and tighten to the point of slipping, then tighten the bolts to lock it in place. Some glazed belts will not tighten and stay quiet so may need to be replaced or use some belt dressing for a temporary fix.<BR>Willie

Scott, welcome back! Been a while since I've seen you post. Does your PS bracket have a kind of circle or hole that looks like it's there for nothing? I can't remember if it does or not. Anyway, put a large screwdriver through that circle and use that for leverage to adjust the belt tension. If it isn't there...don't pry on the pump reservior, you may puncture it.

Guest Skyking

There are also some brackets with a square notch in it so you can put a 1/2 inch ratchet into it and pry. That seemed to be the best idea GM had.

Thanks Guys!<P>It's a '71 Skylark for the ones who don't know me. :-)<P>I'll try to take a look at it tomorrow after more medical appointments. Hopefully it won't the the tough guy in the engine bay. ;-)<P>To Willie: email's commin tonight. I haven't forgotten ya. ;-)<P>To Mike: If your interested in why I've been gone, email me. It's nothing good tho. (g)<P>Thanks again fellas<P>Scott