Protecting Finish on Steel Brake/Fuel Lines

bferg

I have received replacement fuel and brake lines for my 1947 IHC. They are correctly steel lines with brass fittings, but how do I protect the "natural" steel appearance without making them look like I used clear fingernail polish? Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Bill

bferg...Welcome to the Forum!

I do not know how interested you are in experimenting on your own, which is part of the true meaning of the automotive hobby. Guaranteed, we are here to assist with many extremely knowledgeable contributors who offer a world of experience. These folks learned their invaluable skills by trial and error.

As for retaining the "new steel look without nail polish appearance", I offer the following:

--Spray them with a Satin Clear coat spray balm, or...

--A light coat of 3-in-One oil using a rag (which will require periodic re-application as steel will oxidize causing discolorization), or...

--Hair spray. Yes, hair spray. (If you are married, wait until the wife is out shopping so she doesn't think you have lost your faculties.) Use it all the time in my foundry business for "raw" 1st Article Inspection grey iron castings, especially on Friday's. Sounds weird, but, it works. When I put "raw" samples into my vehicle to deliver to a customer the following week, I coat them with hairspray to prevent oxidation, which, can occur on a humid day, definitely if rain is expected before I deliver them, or, handling them with bare hands can cause oxidation where I touched them. It does the job! Again, in your application, it would require a periodic re-spray.

(I might add, hairspray will work on "raw finish manifolds, castings in general, steel bolts, "raw" engine blocks, etc., while they are laying around your shop/garage for the time to paint them.)

Now, here's a challenge: "Experiment on your own with any facit of auto restoration/maintenance, get involved within your own mechanical ability, go as far as you can go, then, by all means, lean on this Forum's tried-and-trued folks who learned by having fun on their own". Join the AACA, Join a local AACA Region, or, Chapter in your area, and, you will have more fun by getting hands-on...

Regards, Peter J.

I used a spray can of Stainless steel paint, there are several different Mfgs. of this paint. It looks exactly like bare steel and has a rust inhibutor. Two coats should protcect lines for quite a long time. When I sandblast any parts i give the part a light coat to protect from rusting while setting, until ready for painting.

I believe that eastwood has the paint in the latest catolog.

Jim Schilf

palbuick@aol.com

Hair spray?? That's a new one. I never heard of that. Our latest trick was to paint some bolts black, bolt them into place, and then cover the black with a thin coat of aluminum paint. With a black base, the aluminum color covers the metal with a black tint giving it the unpainted, "raw" look. Will it work as good as the hair spray?? I don't know because I've never tried the hair spray method.

Guest Randy Berger

Peter, the guys with VW dune buggies used to spray the ignition wires and cap with hairspray when running down at the beach - kept the moisture out.

YFAM, Randy Berger