Back speaker blown! =(

Ok so my rear passenger side speaker randomly decided to break. it now emits very LOUD crackling noises whenever the radio is on (even when it is muted). The only way I can stop it is shutting off the radio all together (veritably cutting the power from the speakers).

Just a few questions:

-what is the generic "specs" for the rear speaker so I know what kind to look for?

-and does anyone else have a good suggestion on a certain pair of rear speakers to get?

Proud to be the youngest Reatta owner,

Eddy

PS: The speaker broke on its own somehow. I don't blast music very loud in the reatta.

Eddy,

a couple of things here. but first, what year is your Reatta? I'm asking this question for two reasons.

if you have a 1988 or 1989 Reatta, it sounds like one of your radio channels has gone out. this is not as common on the later model Reattas. the radio is causing the crackling noise, not the speaker. the speaker is just making the sound it is told to make by the radio.

the other reason I was asking the year of your car concerns the speakers themselves. the early ('88-'89) Reattas used some really strangely-shaped speakers, and the later models ('90-'91) used conventional 6X9 speakers.

I'm putting my bets on a bad radio receiver. the radio is located in the console, just behind and to the left of the gear shift. we have these available. email us for more information.

Mike

I have an 89. I've changed radio stations and it still cracks. I mute the radio and it still cracks. It only stops when I lower the antenna and shut it off completely.

when you say strangely shaped, can I buy anything that fits it at best buy or any other aftermarket place?

The rear speakers on the 88-89 models use a 5 1/4" round with a seperate dome tweeter unit similar to the one located high on the doors. If you wish to go to 6X9s in the rear, you just have to get the speaker mounting brackets from a 90-91 and swap it out.

The crackling you are experiencing is probably due to the radio rather than any problem with the speaker.

i have 6 and 1/2s in my rear speaker mounts. it wasnt too difficult of a problem just took a little problem solving. if you open the trunk and you peel back the carpeting from the right of the opening pannel or the left you should be able to see a pair of speakers(not a problem in my 88 at least). im sure you could also pop the covers off. anyways, if you switch the speaker from side to side and the same spot still crackles its a bad line, if the crackle goes to the other side its a bad speaker. good luck

how old is the youngest owner? im all of 18

haha I'm 18 myself. now a competition is going. I turn 19 in Oct 27th, how about you?

Plus, I got my Reatta when I was 15. 89 Claret Red, amazingly well kept car considering its at 198k.

Eddy

Guest DTerry

Is the sound it makes a real crackling noise, or is it a rapid popping noise? If it is a rapid series of pops, it's a capacitor or capacitors. If you have expertise with a soldering iron it's a pretty easy and cheap fix.

If it's a real crackle, though, I haven't a clue.

I would have to agree with the other posts.. although i havent had any problems with my radio... it does seem odd to have the sound, even when muted... there shouldnt be any thing going through the speakers...

but... If it does turn out to be the speakers, or you are looking for a nice upgrade... a couple years ago I replaced the speakers in my 88.

-Pioneer makes a TS-A1665 180watt 6-1/2" 3way speaker that fits PERFECTLY!!! no need to redrill/remount!! I just replaced the main pair and disconected the tweeters. Since its a 3-way speaker, the system actually sounds better now than with the four factory speakers.

-Also, when i did this install, to replace the fronts, I used OEM Delcos- overall decent speaker, but not worth the money GM charges.. you can get a much better aftermarket speaker for the money.

FYI...

-I just found out that these speakers also fit PERFECTLY in the fronts, behind the door pannel. I was working on my 90 last weekend, and had an extra set of brand new TS-A1665s lying around (still in the box) =P well, I decided too see how far it was off... its NOT! =) All four screws fit... i even used the mesh grills that come with the speakers (just to make sure the door pannel didnt hit/touch the tweeter unit on the speaker) --the door pannel went right back into place... overall a VERY close... but PERFECT fit!!

**i highly recommend this to everyone looking for new speakers!! SO MUCH BETTER THAN FACTORY!! just ask my neigbors after i finished the install... hahah =P (fyi, i also have an aftermarket headunit in the 1990) =)

--and YES these are 6-1/2" speakers! =P

-Also, the Alpine SPS-6939 is a drop in replacement 6"x9" for the 90/91 reatta. Again, no need to redrill/remount. I dont think it sounds as good as a Pioneer (pioneer has a deeper sound) but it works, and it sounds MUCH better than factory! =)

hope this helps everyone!

No one's asked if you have the "powered" Bose speakers in your Reatta (it's an option according to the shop manual). The "remote" amp could cause this problem very easily, the same thing (intermittently) is happening in our Caravan with the Infinity system and I am playing dumb with my wife. Hopefully we can sell it before it goes out completely. Any way good luck, I'd try moving the speaker first, when you get to the speaker, if it's in an "enclosure" it's probably a Bose system; move it just the same and see if the problem follows the speaker. If not, then start chasing the wires or just replace the radio box. The Bose system uses shielded cable, like your cable TV, and power leads between the radio box and the speaker enclosures.

Guest imported_jim13a

Are you absolutely sure about that? I have read that it was optional in the Reatta. On a side note, if my speakers ever buy the farm, they will be replaced with Bose. An old friend of mine once told me that the inherent problem with most car speakers is the oval configuration. Both the '88 and '89 Reatta's have round speakers which in my opinion outperform any oval.

You don't see oval speakers in home systems, and acoustics aside, the quality is far supior to automotive sound systems.

Just my 2 cents!

Jim Tedesco

'89 pearl white Reatta

I am curious if anyone else has tried aftermarket speakers and if the sound improved appreciably as a previous poster said? After 14 years i have often wondered if the speakers still sounds as good as when the car was knew....if they degrade it seems new speakers would be a good idea....what do you think people? smile.gif

Guest imported_dantm4

I had "crackle" in my Reatta (a 90') but put my panasonic head unit in and it went away. I always assumed it was the antenna connection, but is quite possible the radio is bad (I took mine apart trying to fix the tape deck) so good luck, but I think I would agree that it's the radio and not the speakers. I am having problems with low bass with the new head unit, so am thinking of replacing/seeing if something's blown as well. BTW - the CD changer fits quite nicely in the center consol if you ever upgrade....

-Dan

90' Black/Tan Coupe

Jim,

the only upgrade on the sound system in a Reatta was the CD player on the 1990-1991 models. as a matter of fact, the only three options ever available on any Reatta were the 16 way seat, sunroof, and the aforementioned CD player option, which was on 1990-1991 models only.

the radio in the 1990-1991 models is a piece of junk, to put it mildly. it was the same radio that was available in Chevrolets. it is a total mystery why the Bose radio was not offered on Buick's top line model.

Mike

Is the Bose radio the same size ? The Reatta had so much electronics that some had to be put in the trunk (and when I was at GM, one of the prime cost cutters sought was how to reduce the amount of copper wire).

Are quite a few oddities (like a radiator that is 10% smaller than the Bonneville when there appears to be space available), the lack of a "single sweep" wiper, and seats designed for the "height impaired". (the last was simple bean counting - am still looking for a six way platform that is an inch shorter...)

Padgett,

the Bose Radio is exactly the same size as the standard radio. I have had the Bose system in different Cadillacs over the years, and the only obvious visual difference is the larger speaker boxes in the front doors. I believe the amplifier was under the passenger seat.

its too bad they never offered in on the Reatta. the relatively small interior space, coupled with all the glass for the sound to bounce off of would have made for great sound.

the 1990 and 1991 models do have a single-wipe position for the wipers.

Mike

PROBLEM SOLVED.

Got a nice pair of 6 1/2" Pioneer TS-G164OR speakers (160 watt max, 4 ohm) to replace the stock Delco ones...no more crackle...its great now.

But it has its own tweeter...would it be better to attach it normally and just disconnect the delco seperate tweeter from the wiring harnass? or just use both? or do I needa do something special? If no one sees this, I'll just make a new post.

Guest imported_jim13a

Mike,

I stand corrected. It was most likely a misprint in the article I read a couple of years ago. I aquired a '92 Pontiac Bonneville last year and it had the Bose system in it. I was going to remove the speakers and amp to possibly put in the Reatta, but my Daughter needed a car really bad so I let that opportunity get away.

Thanks for the accurate info.

Jim Tedesco

'89 pearl white Reatta