Anybody ever hear of the "Service Station Equipment Co." ?

Guest DeSoto Frank

Guest DeSoto Frank

I just bought a really old air compressor on E-bay (yipe!), made by the Service Station Equipment Co.

Has anybody heard of this outfit, or does anyone know of a website I could go to to find out info about this dinosaur?

It is a horizontal-tank affair, 220 volt, with what appears to be a two-stage pump...which kind of resembles the BMW "boxer" motorcycle engine:

The crankcase is a big cast iron "globe", and at "9 o'clock" is one horizontal cylinder, and diametrically opposed, at "3 o'clock", is the the second (smaller) cylinder...

Haven't seen it in person yet...have to go to Ohio for it...

If anybody has any info, I'd welcome it!

Guest BruceW

I don't have anything on the aircompreesor but I found the following site: http://www.crspub.com/gaspumps/bennett_pump_company1.htm

The site states:

------------------------------

BENNETT PUMPS COMPANY

Established in 1922

In 1928 Bennett was purchased and became a subsidiary of the Service Station Equipment Company Around 1932 SSEC moved the manufacturing facilities to Conshohocken, Pennsylvania and started labeling the equipment as being made by the SSEC, rather than Bennett

In 1936 the company returned to Muskegon, Michigan and the equipment was again labeled Bennett Pump Company Offices still in Muskegon, Michigan

Still very much in business today

Please note that because this company has made so much equipment we have divided it into the following. Please click on the equipment you want to research.

GAS PUMPS (Not finished yet)

OIL DISPENSERS (Not finished yet)

GREASE EQUIPMENT (Not finished yet)

AIR TOWERS (ECO)

AIR COMPRESSORS

OTHER

--------------------------

The air compressor link doesnt work, but the other links show equipment and model numbers from the 1920s. The benefit that I thought you might get from this information is that the Bennett Company is apparently still in business and perhaps they can help with some information sinee they were owned by the Service Station Equipment Company.

Hope this helps.

Bennett was formed in 1919, they were not in the pump business. In 1929 Service Station Equipment, Ltd. of Toronto purchased, Bennett, Shotwell and ECO (original name was Western Mfg.). In 1950 the SSE was dropped and they became a division of the John Wood Co. In 1964 Anthes Imperial Ltd. purchased controling interest in the Wood Co. 1968, Anthes merged with Molson Breweries. 1979, Bennett was sold to SATAM of Paris, France. 1984 became part of Compagnie Generale des Eaux of Paris. In 1990, a small group of investors purchased the company and returned ownership to Muskegon, Mich. where it all began. They are still in business, although they no longer make the ECO Tireflator.

• Like 1

• 7 years later...
Guest Dave45

I just picked up one of these old compressors that needs a motor which is no problem but I'd like to tear down the pump. I just want to clean it up indside and out but I don't know if I can make or buy gaskets. This one is a two cyl.vertical two stage. I even have the compressor serial and model number that is on the plate steel channel that is welded to the tank to mount the motor and pump on. This forum is as close as I have come to finding information.

Dave

Edited by Dave45 (see edit history)

• 2 years later...

On a visit to a farm today I came across an ancient clear vision 10 gallon gas pump with a Cities Service "Koolmotor High Test Anti Knock Gasolene " globe with two round lenses held by a metal band. The thing is very rusty and the manufacturer's brass tag has the following info on it:

GASOLINE DISPENSER

Service Station Equipment Co Limited

Toronto Canada

Capacity 10 Gallons

Model 550 Pump No. 18739

Reg. 1925 Pat. 1925 1926 1927

Of course, I didn't have a camera. What can anyone tell me about this pump? I didn't ask the owner about it as it was my first visit - took the info off the pump while waiting for him to come in from the field and didn't want to seem too forward. It may well be a prized family heirloom and he may not want to part with it. (Didn't want to offend him) But my curiosity got the better of me so I'd like to learn more about it. It's in tough shape but seems to be fairly complete. Are there many (any?)of these out there?

• 9 years later...

Just came across this thread--two decades after it started!  I have a 1929 Eco-Matic air compressor made by Service Station Equipment Co.  It has a later model pressure switch and maybe draincock, but otherwise original and works great in my shop for low volume air applications.  It has a hundred years of grime on it, but will start cleaning it up shortly.  Runs perfect.  Welcome a chance to connect with anybody who has something somewhat similar.PXL_20240523_225327652.jpg.3b185082145fb858f9715b928a157f9f.jpg

PXL_20240523_225303651.jpg

• Like 6