91 Arm rest drink holder won't come out...

Roadster90

Nic,

this is a very easy fix. remove the armrest from the console. you will need a phillips screwdriver and a 7MM nut driver for this repair.

remove the black plastic back side of the armrest. in the process of doing all this, you will find a silver piece of metal floating around. grab it, as this is what is the cause of your problem.

the cup holder opens and closes with what looks identical to a mechanism you would use on a cupboard door. this silver piece goes in the slot attached to the cupholder mechanism. this is the part which catches the magnet on the latch section.

I always use super glue to hold the silver piece in place. it fits fairly tight on its own, but it did fall out once, didn't it?

should take about ten minutes to repair.

Mike

the cupholder is a 1991-only item. it cannot be retrofitted to a 1988 or 1989 Reatta, as the entire console assembly is different. you really aren't missing much. it only has room for one drink, and the small opening allows for a can only.

it can be retrofitted to a 1990 Reatta.

Mike

Mike,

Sincere thanks....I have 2 to fix...you're "The Best" smile.gif.

Nic

Wally,

With all due respect sir, the search function is about as useless as a pinch of puppy stuff since the last update/change. I have tried to utilize it until I am blue in the face. If I was totally stupid, and continued to attempt its use, then I would hope you would really be disgusted with me smile.gif.

I have actually previously posted a request for education information on the search function which netted NO results.

Nic

Guest wally888

Try searching, use quotation marks, "cup holder", Twice, once newer than 1 year, 2nd time older than one year.

Richard,,,,

If you read the above you will see that I am no expert on the subject at all, but select "search" on the tool bar. Then try putting quotes around your key word/s....may produce positive results. I am still not totally convinced however. On this topic (cup holder repair) I went back to 1999 and although I did not read every single post, I could not find a repair related thread. Everything was purchase oriented. Keep in mind we have about the nicest, most informative, pleasant and congenial forum on the internet. The majority of the time most of the members of the forum will be more than happy to provide a pleasant resolution to any problems that you may have.

Good luck....

Thanks again Mike smile.gif